🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Balance transfer from an overdraft?

Options
hi, I have a student account with Halifax. it is set to transfer to a current account next month which means I'll start to receive fees on my overdraft. I have around £800 to repay but it's not possible to pay it all off at the minute.

Which credit card would I be best opening in order to transfer the balance across and could I do this without incurring further fees? I don't know what my best options are so any help is most welcome!

thank you

Comments

• dotdash79
    dotdash79 Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    Options
    MBMA allow you to transfer to a bank account for about 4% some have a better interest free periods.

A good way might be to get a card with interest free period on purchases and use that card for spending rather than your bank account. Then pay it off by the end of the deal. Thats the cheaper option but might take longer to get to.
  • dotdash79
    dotdash79 Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    Options
    Or look at switching to another back account with a free overdraft for 12 months might be winner for you.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts