We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Sending lighters through the post

Options
I have just sold some lighters, none have been used but aren't in their original packaging.

I am going to risk sending the UK ones by Royal Mail, but someone from Holland has managed to win one (I obviously didn't set my restrictions properly).

Is there any mail service I can use to send it ?
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have just sold some lighters, none have been used but aren't in their original packaging.

I am going to risk sending the UK ones by Royal Mail, but someone from Holland has managed to win one (I obviously didn't set my restrictions properly).

Is there any mail service I can use to send it ?

Sorry,who is it taking the risk?
  • charlies_mum
    Options
    I am taking the risk of them being confiscated. There is no risk to royal mail or any of it's staff because as stated they have never been used.
  • GlasgowTech
    Options
    Perfectly fine to send them. I would recommend sending in a jiffy bag or alike but there will be no risk.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    but there will be no risk.

There is a risk, and that risk is that as they are not in their original unopened packaging they are breeching Royal mail's policy for prohibited items and could be confiscated and disposed of.
  • GlasgowTech
    Options
    There is a risk, and that risk is that as they are not in their original unopened packaging they are breeching Royal mail's policy for prohibited items and could be confiscated and disposed of.

I sold a used zippo (celtic fc engraved) on ebay a few months back, turns out there's a huge following in Russia of all places. Send it off in a jiffy bag (after removing remaining lighter fluid) & bloke received no problem.
  • custardy
    Options
    I sold a used zippo (celtic fc engraved) on ebay a few months back, turns out there's a huge following in Russia of all places. Send it off in a jiffy bag (after removing remaining lighter fluid) & bloke received no problem.

aye,whats the worst that can happen?
    not like undeclared items have ever caused a problem on a plane,eh?

1374668867000-UPS-CRASH-LITHIUM-1307240941_4_3.JPG
  • GlasgowTech
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    aye,whats the worst that can happen?
    not like undeclared items have ever caused a problem on a plane,eh?

Thanks for the sarcastic reply, its duly appreciated & I'm sure has helped the OP out a lot.
  • custardy
    Options
    Thanks for the sarcastic reply, its duly appreciated & I'm sure has helped the OP out a lot.

weegie selling lighters has a tantrum
    well thats new
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    Send it off in a jiffy bag (after removing remaining lighter fluid) & bloke received no problem.

How do you remove all of the lighter fluid and vapour from a Zippo.
    Unless you remove the cotton wool, wick and flint and then purge it to remove all traces of lighter fluid, it will still be classed as a flammable item
    I've driven well in excess of the speed limit om motorways and never had a problem so does this mean that everyone who does the same will also never get a speeding ticket?
  • charlies_mum
    Options
    They have never had lighter fluid in them so in effect I am just sending bits of metal. Should have known custardy would over react.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family