IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.

Ignored UKPC and DRP but did not read MSE advice correctly :-/

Hi everyone,

I am in a similar situation to http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4805102&highlight=ukpc+ignore. Sorry if I should have put this under that thread.

I parked at one of the hospitals in SouthEast and got a UKPC ticket probably on the 18th of September. I ignored it. In fact I threw it away (dumb move I know).

I think I was parked in a staff area but there were absolutely no signs. I have been back and there are again no signs at all. Like literally at all. There are signs in the public area but this staff side is completely separate from the public side, they have different entrances. There are not even any signs to say that this is a staff area.

I then got two letters from UKPC which I do not have the dates, and again in me trying to ignore the problem I threw it away. (Yes ******* again) :-)

I had one letter from DRP about the case. I got worried and anxious. Googled and skimmed previous advice and what I got was to ignore. Which I did and as you probably guessed I there the letter away.

So yesterday I got another letter from DRP staying the fee is now 120 and solicitor, court action may be taken blah blah blah. I didn't throw it away this time but thought I would check what to do :-P

I am not too worried about the ticket or the letter but I was reading the forum yesterday and saw that the advice is not to ignore it anymore. I guess it is too late now to appeal, given the lack of signage.

In this case do I continue to ignore? Or what should I do?

Also two more questions:
1) If there are in fact no signs can one continue to park there on the basis that any ticket received will be easily defendable?
2) Why don't the car parks just put up barrier arms? Wouldn't that solve the problem and get rid of these awful parking companies? I am not suggesting it just a thought.

Thanks for your help.

Replies

• Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    101.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    This is covered in the 'DC = Debt Collector' acronyms summary here; see the links on it to DRP and Zenith letter chain:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4816822

Either ignore DRP or robustly respond, as shown.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • nzpodnzpod Forumite
    78 Posts
    What is the likely outcome of the letter? Is it too late to send a similar letter to POPLA?

Cheers
  • Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    101.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't contact POPLA, you missed that chance and have no verification code.

Likely outcome would be to stop the debt collector letters if you follow Daisy's advice on the linked thread. It won't get the PCN cancelled (probably not) but neither does it mean you have to pay the stupid thing.

Meanwhile you could look here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4766249

and also complain to the Hospital - better late then never... I have shown in post #3 there, who to complain to when a fake PCN was in a Hospital car park (and it can get the thing cancelled if you are assertive enough to the right Manager).
  • nzpodnzpod Forumite
    78 Posts
    Hi,

So I sent a letter to DRP as described above on 14 Nov essentially stating not to contact me.

No I have a letter begging to reduce payment option to avoid court.

I thought after a letter from me stating not to contact me I cam make a complaint?

How should I proceed now?

Thanks
  • StromaStroma Forumite
    8K Posts
    Uniform Washer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did you say that you deny liability for the charge, and to hand it back to ukpc, if you did and they are still contacting you then that is harassment and you should report them to the oft and trading standards
    When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
    We don't need the following to help you.
    Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
    :beer: Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Member :beer:
  • this was my letter. Just copied from Daisy. So should I complain? And write back to them?

Firstly, I have no intention of paying the money demanded by your client, and any court proceedings will be vigorously defended.

Second, should it be your client's intention to start court proceedings, they must provide a Letter Before Claim which complies with the requirements of Annex A Para 2 of the Practice Direction on Pre-action Conduct:

http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/pd_pre-action_conduct

Please also note that a failure and/or refusal to comply with the Practice Direction will result in a complaint being made to the court and an application for a stay of the action and costs pursuant to the provisions of paragraph 4 of the Practice Direction on non-compliance and sanctions.

In the meantime, you should note that this charge is disputed, and you must now refer this matter back to your client and cease and desist all further contact with me. Failure to do so will result in a complaint to the Credit Services Association.

I trust that I have made myself clear.
  • StromaStroma Forumite
    8K Posts
    Uniform Washer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well your next step is to make those complaints
    When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
    Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
  • Do I need to write back to DRP at al?

Thanks
  • StromaStroma Forumite
    8K Posts
    Uniform Washer
    ✭✭✭✭
    No you have informed them that what the consequences of the continued harassment will be, any complaints I believe will cost them hundreds even if your complaint is not upheld. Be satisfied that you are going to cost them at least £500 for this
  • Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    101.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    nzpod wrote: »
    Do I need to write back to DRP at al?

Thanks

Nope, just report them to the Credit Services Association - you could read the debt collectors Code of Practice that the CSA has recently imposed and find the examples where DRP have breached it, so your complaint holds more weight.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Alexa, tell me some top tips

How can this Forumite maximise their smart speaker?

Join the Forum discussion

State pension shortfalls for women

MPs call it a 'shameful shambles'

MSE News