We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Using my pension to buy to let

Options
2»

Comments

• FatherAbraham
    Options
    papisco wrote: »
    I would like to ask aegon to buy the property as part of my pension portfolio and possibly rent it out to me or even another tenant. I think this would guarantee a strategy stream of revenue flow to my pension while at the same shielding me from stock market volatility.

No. no more than you could direct Aegon to invest into a single, small, local business with your funds.

OTOH, you can direct Aegon to put part or all of your funds into a commercialreal-estate ("property") fund (unless your pension arrangement is a stakeholder, whose low fee cap means that the higher charges of a real-estate fund cannot be accommodated).

Warmest regards,
    FA
    Thus the old Gentleman ended his Harangue. The People heard it, and approved the Doctrine, and immediately practised the Contrary, just as if it had been a common Sermon; for the Vendue opened ...
    THE WAY TO WEALTH, Benjamin Franklin, 1758 AD
  • papisco
    Options
    atush wrote: »
    This does not make a lot of sense to me. The markets have been good recently. Yes, there wa sa recession and major market downturns int he last 10 yrs, but alos huge market gains.

I am up over the last ten years, and majorly up over the last 15. In your 38 years when did you actually look at the markets objectively or did you just look at scary headlines?

Actually I do come from a financial background so I do understand some of three stood in talking about particularly with regards to pricing issues. I accept that the market is doing well but I'm thinking more medium term.

The issues with the last meltdown have not really been solved and I think we are simpl just feel that we are simply delaying the inevitable. I have no doubt that the market will crash and I'm looking to capitalise my gains on tangible assets before then. The returns may not be as high but at least they'll be secure.
  • papisco
    Options
    Part of my funds are invested in property which is not doing as well as my other portfolios. Thanks for the advice though. It's really appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport