Barclaycard - apalling customer services!

Options
Hi all,

Just wanted to vent my spleen. I signed up via MSE for the 10 months 0% purchasing card from Barclaycard. I had to wait 3 weeks for their decision but I do understand that these things take time with attractive cards.

I received the card (the right variety) but with the wrong offer. They were giving me a balance transfer offer. Not what I signed up for and not what I wanted.

I have now phoned Barclaycard 8 TIMES!!!! and I explain the sorry saga each time and each time they check their systems and say: Yes but you signed up for the balance transfer offer.

I DID NOT! I blooming well know what offer I signed up for, and whats more galling is that that offer is still available via MSE and their own website.

2 of their customer service reps flatly deny that they even have that offer.

The last time I phoned, 15 minutes ago, the person even managed to transfer me to another rep by accident and had to go through the rigamarole of the security questions just to tell me that their systems are saying I wanted the balance transfer offer - for a final time barclaycard. I wanted the 0% purchase offer for 10 months.

Their systems might work very well if there is no error, but god help you if there is something wrong and they can't even be bothered listening to what you say before repeating the company line....

I am awaiting a "manager's" phone call back to me. I can't wait!

I haven't even managed to use the card yet!

Aaaarrrggghhh. I just had to tell someone... sorry if you read this far!

HSB

Comments

• DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This seems to be a common problem with offers for a number of credit card companies, not just Barclaycard. I had a similar problem with Halifax, and I think others have been flagged up on this forum as well. To be honest I have pretty much given up on these offers now, as they seem to advertise them and don't seem to want to honour them once you are signed up - probably due to poorly trained call centre staff rather than any conscious attempt to mislead people (or am I being too charitable here??). I just use the cash back card belonging to my own bank at the moment.
  • moocherx
    moocherx Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Despite calling (at quite an expense from Kuwait to the UK) on a regular basis, Barclaycard continually would cut off my card at the most embarrassing times (in airports tryin to get on planes, in supermarkets trying to buy groceries) despite the fact I am only in the same countries consistently yet they cite "unusual spending patterns".

Well, that made me mad enough as it costs about 10 pounds each time to call them to rectify the situation, only to have it happen again.

NOW their website isn't working, not allowing me to view past statements - and guess what?!?!?! They want ME to call THEM to rectify the situation?! Maybe they want to employ me as a webmaster so the darn thing works??? I really can't believe their "hey - we need to speak to you as we clearly can't understand the text of your online message" attitude. Idiots. This never used to happen pre-offshore customer service.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I called Barclaycard not so long ago for one reason or the other due to an old account with them. The Indian callcentre couln't deal with my request and transfered me to somewhere else, only he must of transfered me to the wrong department as the callcentre worker was having none of it was like trying to talk to an automated voice trying to explain that I had been transfered to her and had not dialed directly. Another Indian callcentre. :mad:
  • smithja
    smithja Posts: 561 Forumite
    Options
    I understand your frustration, have had similar problems with them not understanding what I am asking. I have found saynoto0870 very useful, and if you dial 01604 234234, hit option 2, then go throught the enter your card details etc. you seem to have about a 50/50 chance of ending up with someone in the UK, or Asia. I was trying to get my address temporarily changed yesterday to get a transaction to go through (address matching does not like flat numbers, or the person using the ePDQ machine does not know what order to put the numbers in, and I find it ironic Barclays Merchant Service cannot verify the address on Barclaycard), anyway it took over 4 phone calls to get it sorted, the last person I spoke to, to put the address back to normal was in the UK and very helpful he went off to see if he could find a way of putting it on the computer so it would not happen again, but alass it would not let him. James
  • girltuesday_2
    Options
    I'm glad it's not just me - last time I tried to call Barclaycard I got passed round about five different people, all of them clearly in an Indian call centre, none of whom seemed capable of listening to and understanding my problem, let alone of trying to solve it! I was ready to scream by the time I hung up and gave up!!Have resorted to doing everything in writing now, which is a pain in the a**e, but at least seems to get a coherant answer!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure