Documents to prove you're of state pension age

Options
We have a residents' parking scheme here and people of state pension age are allowed tickets at a reduced price.

When I go along, they ask for proof of pensioner status and, although I have shown my initial award letter which they photocopy, it seems beyond them to renew based on this.

I get my state pension paid into my bank account and don't get any correspondence regarding this, that I can remember anyway.

I have a local authority buss pass which wouldn't have been issued without proof of age but, for some reason, the counter staff who run the parking scheme, seem reluctant to make it straightforward, sometimes resulting in me having to go home and find more information.

Can you think of one, definitive, document I could show to prove that I am in receipt of my state pension? They don't accept even birth certificates.

Comments

• mania112
    mania112 Posts: 1,981 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Proof of age should be all that's needed. So, passport or driving licence?
  • Fruit_and_Nut_Case
    Options
    whitesatin wrote: »
    Can you think of one, definitive, document I could show to prove that I am in receipt of my state pension?
    We could suggest things until the cows come home. Only the administrators of the scheme could give you a definitive list. What do your neighbours produce?
    Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
    :coffee:
  • sleepless_saver
    Options
    Annual letter from Pension Service telling you what your state pension will be in coming year? You should have got one around March.
  • whitesatin
    whitesatin Posts: 2,088 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks, all. No, they don't accept passport or drivers' licence, that would be too sensible. The administrators seem to vary in their attitude and answers, like they are doing you a favour. Documents need to be less than 3 months old so any March document probably wouldn't be accepted. The application form says only that proof of pensioner's status is required but doesn't clarify what.

I think I might email them before my next visit, to ask for a definitive list then produce that when I come accross the inevitable awkward clerk.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,584 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The application form says only that proof of pensioner's status is required but doesn't clarify what.

Who administers the Scheme?
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    whitesatin wrote: »
    We have a residents' parking scheme here and people of state pension age are allowed tickets at a reduced price.

When I go along, they ask for proof of pensioner status and, although I have shown my initial award letter which they photocopy, it seems beyond them to renew based on this.

I get my state pension paid into my bank account and don't get any correspondence regarding this, that I can remember anyway.

I have a local authority buss pass which wouldn't have been issued without proof of age but, for some reason, the counter staff who run the parking scheme, seem reluctant to make it straightforward, sometimes resulting in me having to go home and find more information.

Can you think of one, definitive, document I could show to prove that I am in receipt of my state pension? They don't accept even birth certificates.

Why not ask them what they will accept?

It sounds very strange and I personally would write to whoever manages this scheme and explain the problem you're having.

As sleepless saver says, you will have received a letter each year from DWP telling you your new rate of pension.

Also, if your pension is paid into the Bank, it will show as your NI number and 'DWP SP' - although I'd probably baulk at going to such lengths to prove I was a pensioner for the sake of cheap parking.

General question:
    Once you're in receipt of state pension, can it ever be taken away?

If not, surely an original reward letter would be sufficient.

This sounds very much like a jobsworth attitude.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd just complain to the scheme management, and this could be a good one to go to the local paper with, they'd love a little story about unfair treatment and council ? Inefficiency.
  • frank777
    frank777 Posts: 296 Forumite
    Options
    A 1st Class response, no more to be said? Agree only way to stop their antics, should put an end to the jobsworth attitude. If not they should lose the next council contract - gross mismanagement
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 November 2013 at 9:32AM
    Options
    It appears that they are harassing eligible recipients. I know of no way for a person who has reached state pension age to cease to be of that age once they have reached it. One check to establish age at one time should be sufficient for regular customers.

If they are asking for proof of the pension actually being received they seem to be breaching the scheme rule as you described it, which only requires being of age, not claiming it. Since there is significant financial benefit from deferring the state pension for a few years they would be penalising people for making a sensible financial decision.

There are also people of state pension age who are ineligible for a state pension from the UK. As described the rules permit them to get the discount but the practice may bar them.

It appears that it's desirable to contact whoever is responsible for the proper running of the scheme to get them to mandate a chance of practice to avoid the routine harassment.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Brilliant. How could you be a pensioner a year ago but not now.?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure