We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
National Insurance Contributions and State Pension
Comments
-
Your accountant is incorrect.
If you are below state retirement age and still self employed with sufficent earnings then you are required to pay class 2 contributions.
The information on the HMRC website is clear.
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/working/intro/class2.htm#5
Also have a look at the table at this link: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ni/intro/credits.htm0 -
Thanks for the replies.
I rang HMRC this morning and was told that, whilst it was the case that Class 2 NICs were credited for men aged 60-65, this has now changed. Instead, with the new state pension equality balancing of men and women, contributions are credited from an age equal to that of a woman of the same age's retirement age (or something like that). The guy I spoke to calculated from my d.o.b. I will get Class 2 NIC credits from age 62.
However, the rules may change again thanks to new 'simplification' (ha!) moves. I cannot include a link but look for 'HMRC Consultation Simplification of Self-employed July 2013-4'.0 -
Yes - the situation is as I give in post #5 above.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards