Xbox 360 price and availability after Xbox one released

Options

Comments

• chezybezy
    Options
    i know its easier to say this not knowing your circumstances but it will save you a lot of headache if you can avoid the 4gb models, trust me go for one with a built in hard disk drive.

Every person i know who insisted they only needed the 4gb console due to *insert reason here* has had to go out and either buy an official microsoft xbox hdd (its just easier!) or a new console with a larger hdd.
    - Chez
  • cr1mson
    cr1mson Posts: 893 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    chezybezy wrote: »
    i know its easier to say this not knowing your circumstances but it will save you a lot of headache if you can avoid the 4gb models, trust me go for one with a built in hard disk drive.

Every person i know who insisted they only needed the 4gb console due to *insert reason here* has had to go out and either buy an official microsoft xbox hdd (its just easier!) or a new console with a larger hdd.

Thanks had pretty much ruled out 4gb model for that reason.
  • Ladywhisper
    Options
    Might be worth noting Amazons Black Friday week is coming up in 2 wks. Their deals vary a lot but consoles often appear somewhere on it.
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    the new consoles have come earlier than i would have liked as i plan to replace my current consoles to prolong the life of my games. trying to find what could potentially be a few hundred pounds in the next few months does not appeal.
  • AndyBSG
    AndyBSG Posts: 986 Forumite
    Options
    In all honesty, I doubt MS will do an official price drop of the 360 for a while yet(retailers may do unofficial ones though just to clear stock).

They're going to want to make the X-Box One launch as successful as possible but if they drop the price of the 360 during the X-Bone launch period it may cannibalise sales of the X-Bone.

For me, this gen is going to be the first gen since way back in the days of the NES that I won't be buying a release day console.

Still completely undecided on PS4 or X-Bone and I don't have time for two consoles nowadays like I did in my carefree days of youth.

Still got a back log of PS+ games and a few 360 ones to finish off so i'll probably wait until Easter to decide which one to buy once they've been out a while and can see what problems each one has.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AndyBSG wrote: »
    In all honesty, I doubt MS will do an official price drop of the 360 for a while yet(retailers may do unofficial ones though just to clear stock).

They're going to want to make the X-Box One launch as successful as possible but if they drop the price of the 360 during the X-Bone launch period it may cannibalise sales of the X-Bone.

Yes I see your point, it would be counter productive wouldn't it.
  • EmmaxOx
    EmmaxOx Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    £200 is a lot for a 360 and a game, especially considering a working HDMI cable can be had for £1 at your local poundland. Anyone paying over £10 for a digital cable (coax, HDMI, DVI etc) need their heads looked at.

Used consoles can be had cheap from the likes of CEX, and a lot of the older games are extremely cheap, mostly under a £5 for pre 2010/11 games.

Emma x
  • donnajunkie
    Options
    EmmaxOx wrote: »
    £200 is a lot for a 360 and a game, especially considering a working HDMI cable can be had for £1 at your local poundland. Anyone paying over £10 for a digital cable (coax, HDMI, DVI etc) need their heads looked at.
    its not just a case of any cable will do though. it has to be of a high enough speed capability.
  • Nilrem
    Nilrem Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    its not just a case of any cable will do though. it has to be of a high enough speed capability.

Any HDMI cable will do for the 360 (as long as the cable isn't damaged or has a manufacturing fault) - it's only when you start talking about 3d or 4k that you need to worry about the higher version hdmi cables (and even then a certified cable for that can be had for a fiver for a 2 meter run).

The xbox 360 was released back when HDMI was new and only had it added a couple of years afterwards in a hardware update so only needs at the most a 1.3a spec cable.
    That spec has been around since 2006, so you'd be hard pushed to find any new cable that didn't meet it now.

You can pick up an amazon basics hdmi v1.4 (3d, 4k, ethernet capable) cable for under a fiver that will do the same job as a Monster £80 job or an Xbox/Game/Sony branded £30 job and future proof you a bit*...
    Don't let the salesmen at the likes of Dixons tell you otherwise (they can make more money on the sale of a £30-50 cable than on a £150 console due to the margins).

This isn't like the days of analogue connections when you usually had to pay a reasonable premium** to get a well shielded cable to reduce the interference on the cable as it would affect the signal (and even then many of the "high end" cables were snake oil), HDMI is digital and to a set spec, so unless you're actually getting a break up of the picture or sound you could potentially use coat hangers to make the connection (and someone did for a digital audio blind test once;)) and it would probably work - the hard part would be getting the coat hangers into the socket and keeping them insulated.:)

*Indeed a the Amazon basics v1.4 (Ethernet/3d) cable is probably higher quality and more future proofed than a branded 360 cable, given the 360 didn't need the ethernet/3d abilities.

**The difference between a £5 own brand phono cable and a £30 Belkin one was noticeable in build quality and shielding.
  • donnajunkie
    Options
    a cheap hd cable i had worked fine for the 360 but wouldnt work properly if the ps3 was set to 1080p. also alot of people may use 3d like you mention. i agree its pointless spending a fortune on a cable. i just went for the official playstation cable in the end.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure