Xbox 360 price and availability after Xbox one released

Options
Looking to get DS an Xbox 360 (have ruled out the Xbox one as he basically just wants to play minecraft on it and it is too expensive!)

Missed the Argos deal last week due to lack of stock but wondering what people's thoughts are on when to buy? Will the release of Xbox one reduce the price as there be more 2nd hand Xboxs on the market although am looking to buy new? Or will Microsoft be switching their focus of production to the Xbox One and therefore they be in short supply so prices increase?

Argos have a deal where I could get following for £199.47
Xbox 360 250GB FIFA 14 Game Bundle
An extra controller
HDMI cable

Is that any good?

Thanks in advance.

C

Comments

• Malkin157
    Options
    Prices won't increase in the short term. I imagine that at the end of the month there will be a lot of second hand ones to choose from.
  • gjchester
    gjchester Posts: 5,741 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure, the XBO is a £500 console and not backwards compatable, many people may keep it to play their old games on, 360's don't have a high resale price, Game are only offering £63 for a 250gb system

My guess is short term they'll be two price points, £500 for the XBO and £100 to £200 for the 360 depending on model, only when Microsoft reduce the XBO in price will we see any drops in the 360.

I don't see, short term anyway, a lot more 360s on the used market, there a lot already, and there's not going to be enough XBO's sole to significantly add to that
  • StuC75
    StuC75 Posts: 2,065 Forumite
    Options
    If its 'just' for minecraft, then asda have the 4gb xbox 360 for £99 at the moment..

you can use usb flash drives for extra storage as well so this might be cheaper than paying more for it with Fifa (and 250gb) if that amount is not needed..

granted would need a hard drive for other titles such as GTA5, but this is a console for a child so such age inappropriate games wouldn't be played...

For reference Im getting the xbox one, but will be keeping the 360 for playing older games,, so there may not be a flood of traded in 360's.. anyone planning to do that would do it before launch anyway as the trade in prices would likely drop further anyway..

And with game offering £63 for the 250gb I would keep it in a cupboard just on principle...
  • ITonyI
    ITonyI Posts: 80 Forumite
    Options
    I imagine there'll be a lot of Xbox 360 deals in the run up to Christmas, especially on big shopping days like Black Friday and Cyber Monday. A couple of years ago I managed to get a brand new 4GB Xbox 360 for £50 from an Amazon lightning deal. Can't promise there'll be anything like that this year, but I reckon you'll be able to find some killer deals when the big retailers start fighting over customers.
  • Sally22_2
    Sally22_2 Posts: 677 Forumite
    Options
    I agree and dont think there will be a huge surge in second hand xbox 360s after the ONE is released. We are keeping ours as I have put my foot down and insisted as I still have so many games to play on it!! We will be getting rid of our PS3 though as thats just used as a bluray player at the mo.
    Slimming World Member - Started 05/02/15

• bluenoseam
    bluenoseam Posts: 4,612 Forumite
    Options
    That's a howling bundle from Argos! Game have one right now for a 250gb with Tomb Raider, Halo 4 & a choice of either Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed: Black Flag, FIFA 14 or Arkham Origins for £179.99. Doesn't come with an extra controller or HDMI cable, but you can pick up HDMI's from the pound shops & a controller can be picked up easily enough.

I think the 360 will drop in price, but probably not until after Christmas when Xbox One starts to have "retail availability" - that is when there's free stock to sell. Once that happens they'll drop the price a little knowing that there's going to be more stringent competition out there for it. I'd also expect to see plentiful supply of pre-owned consoles following the launch of the XB1, although with that I'd say go for the slimline machines & don't bother with any "original" models. Should be able to pick those up for peanuts.

Mirroring other statements, if it's only Minecraft & FIFA you're looking for, a 4gb might be enough and can be topped up with either USB sticks or you can probably see if you can pick up the official HD for it. Just keep an eye out though as some games are requiring installation to a source these days - inclusive of GTA which requires 8gb!
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • cr1mson
    cr1mson Posts: 889 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. Had seen the deal at Game but none of the games apart from FIFA 14 are of any interest.

C
  • she73
    she73 Posts: 205 Forumite
    Options
    I think Tesco have a great deal too,think I will get this just for the extra game http://www.tesco.com/direct/xbox-360-250gb-console-slim-holiday-value-bundle/129-1546.prd?skuId=129-1546 also you can add an extra controller and fifa14 for £199
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    cr1mson wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies. Had seen the deal at Game but none of the games apart from FIFA 14 are of any interest.

C

Can always sell them/trade them in at Game/Cex etc to get either the cash or instore credit.
  • bluenoseam
    bluenoseam Posts: 4,612 Forumite
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Can always sell them/trade them in at Game/Cex etc to get either the cash or instore credit.

Sorry but atleast Tomb Raider is a digital code, I think Halo may be a physical disc but even that will be marked "Sold as part of a bundle, not to be sold seperately".
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure