train fare

thinking of going to birmingham on sat 16th for a spot of shopping. we will be leaving from leicester and going to new street. have looked at fares and it is around £20 return.
do i buy now or wait until the day and buy at the station?
SPC 037

Comments

• paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    If the £20 is an advance fare, buy it now. If it's a saver return/open return/day return may as well just buy it at the station, price won't change and it keeps you flexible
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    £20?

The Off Peak Day Return (CDR) is only £12.70.

There is no need to pay any more than this, but for completeness:

Off Peak Return (SVR) £16.70
    Anytime Day Return (SDR) £17.90
    Advance Single fares range from £3 to £8, subject to availability, each way, and valid on the "booked train only".

There is a website that lists all fares, called "BR Fares". I am not allowed to hyperlink to it though, but perhaps someone else can, or you could search for it through Google.
  • madlyn
    madlyn Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    just had another look and i can get an off peak day return for a total of £25. nearly 20 quid less than when i first looked.
    SPC 037
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I think you must have looked incorrectly in the first place, off peak day return price will not have changed in that time, and certainly not from £45 to £25 (I assume that's for two tickets).
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    I'm getting £12.50 for an off-peak day return (Leicester to Birmingham New Street). That is via national rail enquires, going via Cross Country trains.
  • yorkie2 wrote: »
    There is a website that lists all fares, called "BR Fares". I am not allowed to hyperlink to it though, but perhaps someone else can, or you could search for it through Google.

Have looked at this website in the past and have found, on several occasions, fares (usually the lowest) which are listed there but never actually appear on a purchasing website. Unless, of course, there is only one ticket at this fare and you have to be there at one minute past midnight on the day of release to buy it :rotfl::rotfl:
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    The £12.50 off peak day return is a walk-on fare, buy at the station.

Goodness knows how you came up with £25 or £45, but however you did it, don't do it again ;-)
  • madlyn
    madlyn Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    the £25 i "came up with" is a return for 2 people. which is.........
    £12.50.
    so next saturday if we go to the station and ask for an off peak day return £12.50 is what we should expect to pay?
    SPC 037
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    madlyn wrote: »
    so next saturday if we go to the station and ask for an off peak day return £12.50 is what we should expect to pay?

That's right.
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 8 November 2013 at 8:28PM
    madlyn wrote: »
    the £25 i "came up with" is a return for 2 people. which is.........
    £12.50.

Correct

A quick look shows advance fares add up to more than that on most trains that day
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure