PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Thriftlady's wartime experiment

Options

Comments

• catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi Linda!

Yes mixed spice would work as well. I made mine in a round cake tin but a loaf tin would be ok also much easier to slice. Leave the cake to get cold before taking it out. I loosened mine with a knife around the edges and tipped it onto one plate (upside down) and then back onto another plate to get it out of tin ok.

The crumble topping is lovely. We are going to have some tonight for pudding with custard just like Grandmother would have served it. :D
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    catznine wrote: »
    Hi Linda!

Yes mixed spice would work as well. I made mine in a round cake tin but a loaf tin would be ok also much easier to slice. Leave the cake to get cold before taking it out. I loosened mine with a knife around the edges and tipped it onto one plate (upside down) and then back onto another plate to get it out of tin ok.

The crumble topping is lovely. We are going to have some tonight for pudding with custard just like Grandmother would have served it. :D

Thank you, its hardly appropriate to this thread but I have some paper loaf tin liners from Lakeland so no problem getting the cake out :o:D

Edited to add, well done again Thriftylady for both this thread and getting in the weekly email - Excellent
  • OneSpike
    OneSpike Posts: 190 Forumite
    Options
    This is fascinating. The stories are wonderful, sad, funny, a brilliant glimpse.

I'd never get away with feeding my family this way, although we're fairly frugal already - I think some of the deprivations would be taking things too far for them! We've just moved somewhere that's brilliantly set up for growing fruit and veg so we're looking forward to that.

Now why was I replying? There was something I wanted to say or ask and it's gone out of my head, hmmm. Oh well, will come back when I remember!
    If you can't be a good example, be a dire warning :D

MBNA charges and interest frozen
    Egg/DLC repayment agreement reached

Feels like progress!
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just remember, people - there was no test for cholesterol during the war ;)
    Some of the recipes and meal plans people used are real artery blockers :eek:
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Very true! At least in this day and age we can pick and choose the recipes we would like to try out!
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • Chipps
    Chipps Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Errata wrote: »
    Just remember, people - there was no test for cholesterol during the war ;)
    Some of the recipes and meal plans people used are real artery blockers :eek:

But don't forget they didn't have all the extra snacks etc that we do now, & portion sizes were apparently smaller then, so they probably didn't have any more than we do now - just got it in one fell swoop in the main meal rather than throughout the day!
    And with more physical exercise - walking or cycling to get about, less gadgets to help with housework etc, they worked more of it off.
  • tightwadman
    tightwadman Posts: 79 Forumite
    Options
    Great thread here - please keep it going, esp the stories and the recipes. I was born in 1953 and remember well all the wartime and homefront stories told by my family. Everyone seemed to remember dried egg from the war and spoke of it with some affection. Well guess what - you can now buy dried egg again but I cannot presently remember where from..

It makes you think how lucky we are now and how much food most of us actually waste or over-indulge in.

Keep up the good work.....
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    taplady wrote: »
    thanks thriftlady for a fascinating thread! I will be interested to see how your children take to the meals, and also did you weigh yourself before you started ? interesting to see if you lose weight on it.Thanks I'm sure we'll all be keen to saee how you all get on!:T

The children haven't noticed any difference so far. I haven't actually told them what we are doing. I've mentioned that things they are eating are wartime recipes, but tbh we aren't eating that differently from normal. I make everything from scratch already so they're just taking it in their stride. They might start wondering why we haven't had pasta after a while but as for crisps, fizzy drinks etc we don't have them anyway.

Stupidly I forgot to note down my weight, but will keep a note of it next week.

justamum thanks for clearing that up about Hitler and vegetarianism- obviously one of those modern myths.

Have been to visit my mum today and come back with a few lbs of goosegogs. Fortunately I can put them in the freezer until I decide what to do with them.

I had cheese, crackers and salad for lunch -I'll have to take a bit off my cheese ration to make it accurate.
  • OneSpike
    OneSpike Posts: 190 Forumite
    Options
    I've remembered why I was posting - Camp Coffee! Not very relevant to this thread, but we use it as a base for iced coffee, frappees and the like. It works well for those, and maybe a (hot) mocha, but I wouldn't fancy it for an ordinary cup of coffee. It's widely available - I got some in Morrisons just last week, this being the iced coffee season. Actually today it's more like the hot water bottle season :confused:
    If you can't be a good example, be a dire warning :D

MBNA charges and interest frozen
    Egg/DLC repayment agreement reached

Feels like progress!
  • Dead_Eye_Jones
    Options
    Nice idea :)

Always important to keep these things in our minds and to remind each generation what went on.
    Debt: a bloomin big mortgage

all posts are made for entertainment value only, nothing I say should be taken as making any sense and should really be ignored
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback