🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

groceries online

Options
I was wondering if any of you have ever tried it. Just browsing online this sounds as a good way to save money. Especially when I look at Amazon.
Ant recommandation?

Comments

• HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I do like shopping online but it doesn't save me money. In regards to supermarket shopping I cannot take advantage of discounted fresh produce (yellow stickers). To meet the minimum amount for free or discounted delivery charges I ended up buying stuff I didn't really want.

In regards to electrical items I usually end up with a better discount physically going to a store and haggling. Getting online prices then going to the shop to haggle is good though.

Delivery charges can exceed the cost of public transport or fuel and parking to get to/from the shops....depending where you live.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Yeah, i do online shopping, for presents, things for myself and family, and for food shopping.

Had no problems so far.

Its especially good around this time of year, when shopping malls and supermarkets start getting busier with christmas shoppers.
  • bettiemme
    Options
    Thanks a lot!
    How about the delivery cost? Is it still worthy?
    Do you have any reccomandation?
    Yeah, i do online shopping, for presents, things for myself and family, and for food shopping.

Had no problems so far.

Its especially good around this time of year, when shopping malls and supermarkets start getting busier with christmas shoppers.
  • bettiemme wrote: »
    Thanks a lot!
    How about the delivery cost? Is it still worthy?
    Do you have any reccomandation?

well i buy a 6 month pass with the supermarket for shopping, think its £60 but i can get my shopping delivered anytime during the day / evening, any day of week, and it costs me nothing once i have paid the £60, so saves me quite a lot as im usually around £5 delivery once a week (saving around half)

For internet, i use Amazon, Next, Game, Argos etc.
    just your usual standard stores.
    If you go to vouchercodes online you can sometimes pick up free delivery codes, or discount off what you are buying. best just to think about what you need then search for the best price on internet..

I like looking round the shops but end of spending too much, so internet works for me as i know exactly how much i can spend.

BTW Ernest Jones has an excellent sale on online just now.
    I have just treated myself to about £500 of rings, bracelets etc and only spent £200.
  • Edwardia
    Edwardia Posts: 9,170 Forumite
    Options
    I loathe shopping so I do as much of mine as possible online.

Food & Drink:

Abel & Cole 99p delivery charge minimum order 12.50
    Holland & Barrett free delivery
    Iceland free delivery minimum order £25
    Ocado free delivery with Smart Pass (if used regularly over a year this saves more than it costs) some free delivery slots available
    Riverford free delivery minimum order 12.50
    Waitrose free delivery minimum order £50

For other stuff I work out whether it would cost more in fares to get to the shop than the postage. For example - Lakeland postage at 2.99 is less than the rip-off 20 min bus ride :eek:

I try to check online and reserve stock before I get to a store so I don't waste money on fares. I also do free Click & Collect from stores so OH can go pick stuff up lunch time (gets him out of the office). This works particularly well with Marks & Spencer, Debenhams and BHS.

I find buying stuff online works really well and frees up time for other things. OH no longer has to spend much of Saturday morning shopping for example and I spend less time in supermarkets.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport