We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Bank of Choice

Cotta
Cotta Posts: 3,667 Forumite
Good Afternoon All,

Following on from an interesting discussion on Danske, I was wondering what everyone's bank of choice was and why? Perhaps it may not even be an Irish bank.

I'm interested in three points, holding accounts, savings/investments and mortgages.

My account would be Halifix (Reward Account), this gives £5 per month for paying more than £750 into and it also allows me to have a £100 interest free overdraft. I find the online system very good as well.
«1

Comments

  • mezza101
    mezza101 Posts: 171 Forumite
    100 Posts
    multiple bank accounts is the way to go and just take advantage of all thats offered :money:
  • tara747
    tara747 Posts: 10,238 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Same as mezza101! I've banked everywhere to get joining bonuses of between £100 and £200, £5 a month reward, decent interest etc etc. It only takes a few minutes each month to transfer all the money around each of them.

    I have:

    Halifax Reward - £5 a month (used to have 3 but they caught on after 3 years and closed 2 of them - that was a handy £180 a year :D )
    Santander 123 - 3% up to £20,000
    Lloyds Vantage - 3% up to £4,000
    Nationwide Flex Account - 5% up to £2,500
    Santander 2-year ISA - 3% (this is where the bulk of my savings are)

    I have had:

    Co-operative - £100 joining bonus
    Danske - £100 joining bonus
    First Direct - £200 bonus for opening and then closing
    Halifax current account - £100 bonus

    I'm probably missing some out... :D
    Get to 119lbs! 1/2/09: 135.6lbs 1/5/11: 145.8lbs 30/3/13 150lbs 22/2/14 137lbs 2/6/14 128lbs 29/8/14 124lbs 2/6/17 126lbs
    Save £180,000 by 31 Dec 2020! 2011: £54,342 * 2012: £62,200 * 2013: £74,127 * 2014: £84,839 * 2015: £95,207 * 2016: £109,122 * 2017: £121,733 * 2018: £136,565 * 2019: £161,957 * 2020: £197,685
    eBay sales - £4,559.89 Cashback - £2,309.73
  • GlynD
    GlynD Posts: 10,883 Forumite
    I'm with Bank of Scotland and have been for around 20 years. They have no branches in NI that I'm aware of so I use Halifax for my local needs.

    I just don't see the need to change, especially as most of my banking is done online.
  • wifeforlife
    wifeforlife Posts: 2,735 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    I do the same as others, except on the small side. I've a Halifax reward account for the free £60 a year however use Nationwide as my main account.
  • Bigcammy
    Bigcammy Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Santander 123 account, no problems with them whatsoever
    Norn Iron Club Member No. 252 :beer:
  • Cotta
    Cotta Posts: 3,667 Forumite
    I do the same as others, except on the small side. I've a Halifax reward account for the free £60 a year however use Nationwide as my main account.

    Out of interest why/how are Nationwide your main account if you avail of the £60 p/a offer from Halifax?
  • jeffer
    jeffer Posts: 222 Forumite
    Everyone needs to bear in mind that these banks now require you to have at least 2 DDs set up as well as paying in a minimum every month. The Halifax withheld my £5 one month because one of my DD bills was zero so nothing was paid out that month.
  • wifeforlife
    wifeforlife Posts: 2,735 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    Cotta wrote: »
    Out of interest why/how are Nationwide your main account if you avail of the £60 p/a offer from Halifax?

    I get my salary into my nationwide account, and move money in and out of Halifax for the reward, I've 2 minimal amount direct debits to ensure I get the £5 a month.

    I aim to add the likes of Santander 123 into the mix like Tara but just haven't got round to it.
  • Cotta
    Cotta Posts: 3,667 Forumite
    Do Nationwide offer an incentive for having your salary paid into their account?
    I get my salary into my nationwide account, and move money in and out of Halifax for the reward, I've 2 minimal amount direct debits to ensure I get the £5 a month.

    I aim to add the likes of Santander 123 into the mix like Tara but just haven't got round to it.
  • I've got:

    First Direct current account (to take advantage of the 6% on regular savings)
    Halifax (for the £5)
    Nationwide (for the 5% current a/c interest plus cashback c/c)
    Santander (only so I can use their e-saver for one of my H d/ds)

    Takes me about 3 mins to do all my transfers online when I get paid so all minimum payments in criteria is met.

    Just a FYI: Halifax doesn't appear to have a problem counting my Paypal as a d/d every month ;)
    Wealth is what you're left with when all your money runs out
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.