Virgin AMEX versus Tesco Card

Options
Hi,
I am failing to get my head around which is better for us eitherVirgin AMEX CC or Tesco CC and would welcome any advice or guidance on the matter.

We spend about £120.00 per week on our weekly Tesco bill using Tesco card and recieve about £30 vouchers per quarter year. (£10 ??? monthly)

We travel to Florida at least once a year and use Virgin airmiles which we collect from any source other than Tesco weekly spend.

What would be our best return for our weekly Tesco spend; should we continue to pay by Tesco card or by Virgin Amex.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Why not convert your tesco clubcard points to virgin miles?
  • quintain
    Options
    Lazyloki wrote: »
    Why not convert your tesco clubcard points to virgin miles?
    But would that be better than using Virgin AMEX.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    No, with the Tesco card you earn 1 clubcard point (2.5 Virgin miles) for every £4 you spend. With the Virgin card (using the Amex) you get 1 virgin mile for every £1 you spend (the earning rate isn't so good for the visa card - 1 mile for every £2).

So if we round your monthly Tesco shop up to £500 you would earn:

Tesco CC: 312.5 virgin miles (when converted from the 125 clubcard points you would earn).

Virgin Amex: 500 virgin miles.

Simples.

Bear in mind you will also earn 500 Tesco CC points from the spend anyway. This can be converted to 1250 virgin miles.

To really boost your clubcard balance (and therefore your Virgin miles), you should keep an eye out for bonus clubcard points offers.
  • Aims1982
    Options
    quintain wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am failing to get my head around which is better for us eitherVirgin AMEX CC or Tesco CC and would welcome any advice or guidance on the matter.

We spend about £120.00 per week on our weekly Tesco bill using Tesco card and recieve about £30 vouchers per quarter year. (£10 ??? monthly)

We travel to Florida at least once a year and use Virgin airmiles which we collect from any source other than Tesco weekly spend.

What would be our best return for our weekly Tesco spend; should we continue to pay by Tesco card or by Virgin Amex.

The best card on the market at the moment is the Amex Gold which is fee-free in the first year. You also get double Membership Rewards points in the first year on fuel, overseas and supermarket spends. Plus if you spend £2,000 in the first three months you receive 20,000 bonus MR's! (Or 22k if referred) the MR's can be transferred to Virgin Flying Club, and Amex have regular bonus offers with a 30% bonus when transferring to VFC etc. The transfer rate is 1:1 for Virgin so the bonus would equate to 20/22k VFC miles! The Amex Gold is a charge card, and so must be cleared at the end of every month.

If you would like a referral (I would receive bonus MR's if you're accepted- not linked on your spends) please PM me and I can arrange for this.

I hope the above makes sense, please ask if you have any questions!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure