MSE News: Booked with Lowcostholidays? Check options as firm loses Atol protection

Options

Comments

• CharlieRabbit01
    Options
    I've been looking to book my holiday through low cost and just seen this thread, what does no ATOL protection mean?

I was planning to book my flights, Hotel, transfers etc through them individually rather than as a package deal through somewhere like Thomson or First Choice.

Am I best avoiding them?
  • Moto2
    Moto2 Posts: 2,206 Forumite
    Options
    With ATOL protection you would not be stranded abroad should the company cease trading whilst you're away, among other things

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=1080&pagetype=70&gid=2505
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
  • CharlieRabbit01
    Options
    I presume therefore their new spanish protection wouldnt cover this?
  • Summerdazs
    Options
    I booked a holiday package with lowcost holidays on the 14th nov 2013 fir 5th July 2014 which I believe means I will not be covered by Atol protection. However I booked the holiday using a credit card, does this then mean I will have protection via the credit card or will I not be covered because of the 3rd party rule? Ie actual flight with easy jet and lowcost pay them? Also can I cancel my holiday with lowcost without loosing deposit at this stage?
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 January 2014 at 11:40AM
    Options
    Your Easyjet flights have to be booked and paid for at the same time. You should have a 6 digit reference number and if you do, the flights are safe, Easyjet are not going to go bust.

What you are dependent on Low Cost for is the accommodation, some they book direct with a hotel, some they book through yet another booking agent and obviously if they don't pay, you will be asked to pay again. If you have a direct contract with Low Cost for the hotel, the credit card will cover you, if they have booked through another agency they may not.

This leaves you having to make a claim against the Majorcan financial protection scheme if they fail, perhaps learn the words for "Help I am stranded, my operator has gone bust" in Spanish just in case, although no one seems to know who you are actually supposed to contact anyway....In truth I doubt there is much of a risk, the real problems will start when other companies follow suit but chose Latvia, Bulgaria or Romania to provide financial protection because it may be cheaper than the ATOL scheme
  • Saint_Chris
    Saint_Chris Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Options
    I have a hotel booked in Berlin for 3 nights in June, we only paid a deposit, it was a good price when we booked it, and I've used lowcost before to turkey a few times and never had any problems.

Should I contact lowcost to see if everything is ok, or just wait till april and pay the balance off and hope for the best.

thanks
  • Alan_Bowen
    Options
    Low cost never provided financial protection for accommodation only bookings anyway, so your position hasn't changed and with respect, if you call them to ask if 'everything is OK?' would you really expect them to say anything other than 'of course it is?'
  • Robsta86
    Options
    I have been looking at holidays on lastminute.com, and I am aware that they use lowcostholidays as their travel agent. I assume it is exactly the same as if I booked directly with lowcostholidays? Therefore they are not ATOL protected!
  • Alan_Bowen
    Options
    If your contract is with Low Cost Holidays there is no ATOL protection, pure and simple. Whether that is something you should worry about is entirely up to you.
  • nanny100
    Options
    we have just returned from a holiday booked through low cost holidays.i was completely unaware we were not covered by atol until i read this having thought about it we did not receive an atol certificate,now i know why. should they not inform people at time of booking?:o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure