Passport Office and the Small Claims Court

New Post Advanced Search

Passport Office and the Small Claims Court

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning
7 replies 4.8K views
leighvleighv Forumite
75 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning
I have put in a claim to the passport office for compensation since my fast track passport was not delivered within 7 days. They have not responded, and I gave them 7 days to respond. It's been 14 days. Who should I address the court action against, the Passport Office, the Home Office, etc and what is there address? Thanks.

Replies

• Though I cannot find the terms and conditions of this service, I do not think that you would be able to claim compensation for their failure to meet the service guarantee.

However, you can claim for a refund of the upgraded fee paid.

http://www.passport.gov.uk/fees_refund.asp

Edit: Have found this on the refund form:
    IPS shall not be liable for any indirect or consequential loss that the customer may suffer, however IPS will consider any claims on their merits.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Also, you can't sue government departments. Not sure about the Passport Agency in itself, but the Home Office is certainly a gvt dept.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • photomephotome Forumite
    15.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Bake Off Boss!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck with your claim...they lost mine completely a few years back...I got nowhere trying to claim, had to start again
  • Andy_LAndy_L Forumite
    11.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dmg24 wrote: »
    Also, you can't sue government departments. Not sure about the Passport Agency in itself, but the Home Office is certainly a gvt dept.

Since, for example, the home office are always being sued by prisoners I think you are mistaken.

They have (limited) crown immunity from criminal prosecution which may be what you're thinking of.
  • Andy_L wrote: »
    Since, for example, the home office are always being sued by prisoners I think you are mistaken.

They have (limited) crown immunity from criminal prosecution which may be what you're thinking of.

I don't think that prisoners sue through the Small Claims Court!!!
    Gone ... or have I?
  • moonrakerzmoonrakerz Forumite
    8.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Much of Central Government have waived their rights under Crown Immunity, to show what good people they are. Doesn't make any difference, they still get away with blue murder.
  • Andy_LAndy_L Forumite
    11.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dmg24 wrote: »
    I don't think that prisoners sue through the Small Claims Court!!!

There still being sued though;)
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support