Gas meter - black button what does it do?

Am asking what it does as button A the red one does not have a screen for the meter reading on it. Despite the call centre lady telling me it had.
Does it tell you the units used if I press button B - I need to know as I wish to find out how much I have actually used since new meter fitted. Yes it is pre payment meter. This is purely for me and not needed for Gas supplier BTW. No information that I could google or that I could find. Perhaps there might be a lurking meter reader on here who can tell me.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 November 2013 at 8:28AM
    When I read any prepay gas meter its always the red button I press with the newer e6 small prepays. The older ones, which have the meter reading displayed anyway, I always press the red button anyway for a bypass check . With the newer ones the reading appears as " meter index " after a short wait then another one or two presses. Holding down the red button until it beeps ( with card inserted ) allows you to scroll through different reads such as tariff and prices and debt/debt repay. I have never had to use the black button . If nothing is happening at all on the red button maybe the battery is flat/taken out ( that`s a possible meter bypass fiddle ). Screen should light up anyway
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,890 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Black is normaly emergency
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I've got one of those black buttons.

It's labelled in black on a black background and, when I press it, a small black light lights up in black to let me know I've done it.

Go for it, what's the worst that could happen?
  • sacsquacco wrote: »
    When I read any prepay gas meter its always the red button I press with the newer e6 small prepays. The older ones, which have the meter reading displayed anyway, I always press the red button anyway for a bypass check . With the newer ones the reading appears as " meter index " after a short wait then another one or two presses. Holding down the red button until it beeps ( with card inserted ) allows you to scroll through different reads such as tariff and prices and debt/debt repay. I have never had to use the black button . If nothing is happening at all on the red button maybe the battery is flat/taken out ( that`s a possible meter bypass fiddle ). Screen should light up anyway
    So is the meter index screen the one with the meter reading on it? I did see that screen - but it was in day light and due to low position and my eyesight is hard to read at this time. Need to wait until dark for better contrast.
  • SwanJon
    SwanJon Posts: 2,333 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    As long as I've worked with them, we've always advised the customer never to press the Black (B) button - everything is done through the red (A) button.
    Someone must use them as they are every new model too.

I think the initial point was to help you budget - it seperates some of youor credit off and turns off when that has run out. At this point you can release the remaining credit with the red button. (I could have these details wrong - I just tell people they never need it.)

You access the other information screens by pressing and holding the red button (without the card in). Older meters may ask you to put the card in for the 24th screen.
    The red button is used to access emergency credit too.

Edit - Yes, Meter Index is the meter reading - most meters are installed at 00000. If yours wasn't it would say so on a yellow sticker on the meter.
  • Yes. meter index, followed by the reading. on first press it says "please wait " then press again after 10 seconds. Use a torch
  • MeterMan
    MeterMan Posts: 433 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    On newer E6 pre-pay gas meters, the B/Black button will update the reading.

Because of its electronic design, the reading is only updated every 30 minutes. If you need to get an accurate reading, do as follows.

1. Press button A until 'please wait....' have disappeared and it displays normal screen.
    2. Press button A until your meter index is displayed.
    3. Press Button B and it will update the meter reading.

Button B is also used by installers when commissioning, Decommissioning the meter.

Whilst on the discussion of pre-pay meters and their functionality.

If you press button A and wait until the normal screen appears, Holding button A will take you to your tarriff and account information, such as money owed, what your tariff rate is.

On British gas prepay E6 meters (WHITE LANDIS & GYR) the first screen is GD Remaining, what ever the figure is here, is what you owe. Pressing button A will allow you to move through each bit of information.

The second page is GD Min payment, This page tells you how much you are going to pay back per week. This sum will usually be deducted from the balance of the meter on a Tuesday night/Wednesday morning, regardless of how much money you have on the meter.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    The black button is sometimes programmed to act as a "budget" button.

The idea is that if you have your gas on and are in credit, if you hit the button once, you have effectively set the meter to use £1 of gas that day then it switches off.

Press it twice for £2.00 and so on.

Some peeps press it accidentally and then wonder why their gas has gone off.

If you have set the budget facility and it does go off later in the day,just put the card in and switch on again..
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • I was wondering this myself not too long ago. My landlord came and installed one and gave us no clue as to operate it! Luckily i found it on Smart Power Shops website.
  • MeterMan
    MeterMan Posts: 433 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    The black button is sometimes programmed to act as a "budget" button.

The idea is that if you have your gas on and are in credit, if you hit the button once, you have effectively set the meter to use £1 of gas that day then it switches off.

Press it twice for £2.00 and so on.

Some peeps press it accidentally and then wonder why their gas has gone off.

If you have set the budget facility and it does go off later in the day,just put the card in and switch on again..

This I have never heard of, Leads me to believe that what you are saying is codswallop.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure