key priorities if appointed to the role - 10 minute presentation. 5 minute questions.

Options
hi. i have an interview next week for a managers position. this is my first interview for such a role. from searching online this seems to be a typical question. does anyone have any experience of this and how would you suggest answering it. the interview is with a retail bank. any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• AP007
    AP007 Posts: 7,109 Forumite
    Options
    What is the typical question?
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 31 October 2013 at 9:13PM
    Options
    AP007 wrote: »
    What is the typical question?

Well, I'd guess at "If you were appointed, what would you see as the key priorities in this role?"

I don't have experience of that as a question to me as a candidate. It can be used as a candidate's question to the interviewer(s) at an interview.

However if it is to prepare a presentation then you need to look at the job description to see what that tells you. I don't know if you are working for the organisation already but if you are you may well know what their preoccupations are.
  • AP007
    Options
    Well, I'd guess at "If you were appointed, what would you see as the key priorities in this role?"
    Something like this, maybe.

A Retail Banking manager is responsible for leading the sales function, maintaining good staffing level and providing customer support services.

They would sets the priorities, direct and delegate sales responsibilities to the people who are under him or her.

As a manager they are responsible for developing and maintaining close relationships with other banking partners such as the Mortgage Officers, Business Bankers and Brokerage representatives etc
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • AP007
    Options

I don't have experience of that as a question to me as a candidate. It can be used as a candidate's question to at an interview.

However if it is to prepare a presentation then you need to look at the job description to see what that tells you. I don't know if you are working for the organisation already but if you are you may well know what their preoccupations are.
    To apply for a job as a retail bank manager you need bank experience so hopefully the OP already works at the bank or another bank so knows a bit about the 'product'

If an interview was to include a presentation the OP surely would have been given the topic and time to prepare?

OP - have you been told this by the interviewer?
  • Funky_Bold_Ribena
    Options
    Key priorities
    a - what the boss wants me to do/change
    b - sort out the biggest drain on the dept
    c - increase the market share/biggest income stream/client spend/etc etc
    Sanctimonious Veggie. GYO-er. Seed Saver. Get in.
  • ap1988
    ap1988 Posts: 83 Forumite
    Options
    its basically leading a team of sales advisers in an area manager capacity. its a presentation on "my key priorites if given the role"
    i have heard a 30,60 and 90 day plan is the best means of action
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ap1988 wrote: »
    its basically leading a team of sales advisers in an area manager capacity. its a presentation on "my key priorites if given the role"

Plans are how you tackle the priorities.
    Priorities are what you tackle.
  • Funky_Bold_Ribena
    Options
    ap1988 wrote: »

You don't know enough about the dept to get specific and this don't know the actual priorities. So your priorities are to find out what needs doing to keep the boss happy, minimise any losses (people or financial or otherwise) and maximise any income streams.
    Sanctimonious Veggie. GYO-er. Seed Saver. Get in.
  • ap1988
    Options
    thanks for the advice it has given me good food for thought. i have managed to do a 30 60 90 day plan it is very generic. does anyone know anywere online that could help me fine tune it. thanks again
  • ap1988
    Options
    [FONT=&quot]30 days:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Meet with team individually to set out expectations, clear objectives and get to know each member from a supervisory perspective.[/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Team meeting. Review performance of team/BQU issues. What’s it like now, where do I want to be. Cross pollinate top and bottom performers and share best practice.[/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Appoint Role Champions [/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Initiate buddy system between top/bottom performers/new recruits.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Build upon my in-house contact network. Cultivate connections with everyone — including the employees above and below my level. [/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Establish positive relationships with stakeholders and develop good communication habits to maintain those relationships. Be honest, open, friendly, reliable and clear. – attend board meetings.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]recruit new team members[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]*I will look to complete the training required for supervisory practices such as file checking and observations , over the course of this period.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]60 days:[/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Review the first 30 days and ensure that I met all established goals and report on this. [/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]start a “success file” and track accomplishments, contributions and positive feedback from others.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Continue to fine tune knowledge of the supervisory practices during this period. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Communicate plans, progress and results to supervisor and to team. Become known for developing clear goals and completing projects on time.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]90 days:[/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]review the initial two phases and follow up as needed to complete the outlined steps and goals. [/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]show that i really understand the job. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]*[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Sit down with Manager and create an Individual Development Plan within the first 90 days[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure