partial settlement help please.

Options
Hi guys I wonder if you can help please.

I have been reading and searching for about an hour and that has made me more confused.

I was in forces and when I left I had a mortgage and some debt in terms of a loan.

when I left in 2009 I couldn't find work so ran up debt in regards to credit cards and overdraft. I was in a bad place. My debts were sold on.

I managed to find work and with the help of the cab set up arrangements with my creditors. I never missed my mortgage payments.

for the last 2 years I have been working full time bringing in decent money. I called up cabot and mdrl asking for a resettlment figure. They have offered me a discount but did say it would be put down asa partial settlement.

I am looking to put my property on rent and purchase a new bigger property. Will this partial settlement affect my chances of getting a mortgage. I will have 15% deposit for the new property. Please help im at my wits end.

Comments

• Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    edited 31 October 2013 at 5:49PM
    Options
    Yes it is likely that partial settlements on your credit file will affect what credit/mortgages you can get whilstever they still show on your file.

But its worth checking what is on your file now. It sounds likely you will have defaults marked on your file in 2009, possibly 2010.
    Those accounts and defaults will fall off your file 6 years after the default date, and that would also include any record of the partial settlement.
    So if you have an account with a default in 2009 then it will fall off your file in 2015 (whther settled, unpaid or partially settled)

If you are making any settlement offers then its advisable to do so in writing. And its very important to get written confirmation from them before you pay that the money will be accepted in full & final settlement of the debt and that your credit file will be updated to show no balance is outstanding (even if they say your file will show as partially satisfied). Have a read on the national debtline website for their factsheet about settlements.

Alternatively you may possibly be able to negotiate that the creditors will mark your file to show it as though it was settled in full if that is what you ask for in your settlement offer letter.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    shaqs77 wrote: »
    I am looking to put my property on rent and purchase a new bigger property. Will this partial settlement affect my chances of getting a mortgage. I will have 15% deposit for the new property. Please help im at my wits end.

If you wish to move house anytime soon pay off your debts. Be an insane world if lenders wrote off money, only to lend you more.
    The "mark" on your credit file is the penalty you pay.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure