Help with switching..

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
1 reply 453 views
mforcermforcer Forumite
40 Posts
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
We're hearing a lot lately about price rises and the need to fix so i decided to check if i could save anything, put my details into money saving expert and the top saving is with First:Utility of a mere £27.

£27 is still £27, but i also don't want to be switching to any old cow boys, currently with NPower and has an acceptable service from them.. but aren't they one of the 'big six' increasing their prices?

A quick Google of First:utility and i can't find a single good review of the company.

Is it worth me switching at this point? It does say First:utility is fixed until Prices fixed until 30th June 2015 which sounds good.. assuming the price will not change for the next year at least?

Next up is OVO Energy and i can save £20 with a price fix for 12 months.

I've never switched before, not sure whats involved and if its worth the saving? if the companies are cow boys could it end up being worse, more charges etc? or should i just be going with whoever is cheaper.

Replies

• A.Penny.SavedA.Penny.Saved Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Fixing prices isn't necessarily about short term savings, it's about keeping what you pay stable over a longer time period when prices are likely to increase.

For example, you might pay more for the 2017 fixes but your charges would remain fixed until that date when other tariffs are almost certain to rise considerably. With some you could pay more initially but save over the longer term. It's just whether you can afford to pay out more than you are doing ATM in order to save in the long term. It's a bit of a gamble.

Remember that you should get cash back by switching to another energy provider so that means another £30.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals