Splitting BT account

Hi,
I have two home phone lines on the one BT account, it goes back to the days when I had Home Highway and I had one number and my parents another, when I went broadband I got a second line installed to keep the second number.

My broadband is with PlusNet and I'm looking to move the line with broadband over to PlusNet I asked them previously a couple of years ago and they wouldn't take both lines so didn't do anything at the time, but now looking to split, moving one and leaving the other with BT for the time being.

If I simply get PlusNet to take one line will the remaining one just be left by itself on BT? I've had a dig round the web and google has failed me, I can't find the answer.

I'm well outside minimum contract periods so if it wasn't for having two lines it would be quite a simple switch.

Thanks in advance,
Stuart

Comments

• Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Do you still need two lines?
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • stubuch
    stubuch Posts: 24 Forumite
    I'd prefer to keep them, I don't make many calls on mine but it's the one listed in the phone book. The ex-directory line is my parents and it's got the broadband on it, that's the one I want to move.
  • quattroken
    quattroken Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 31 October 2013 at 10:28AM
    I know it's not what you want but...

My advice would be to cancel the line you don't need, first. Only after that has been addressed, should you attempt to move the other line and broadband to Plusnet.

I speak from the bitter experience of OpenReach being incapable of correctly handling my requirements - migrating back from Virgin - because they kept trying to "migrate" my second line. This second line was already with BT.

In the course of the past 4 weeks, I have endured a cancelled order (while I was awaiting the engineer to arrive on the appointed afternoon); no service on that line for three weeks (Virgin released the line on the original install date); disconnection of the second line when the first line (with a different number - because the original number had been released) was installed (OpenReach engineer's carelessness); 4 day wait for "expedited" reconnection of second line; renumbering to original first line number applied to the wrong line - and I'm still waiting for the issue to be resolved.

Much of this happened while all my complaint communication was with BT's Executive Level Complaints team.

Full story on community.bt.com forum; phones section and look for the topic

Re-Number-porting-transfer-nightmare-from-Virgin-to-BT
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    stubuch wrote: »
    I'd prefer to keep them, I don't make many calls on mine but it's the one listed in the phone book. The ex-directory line is my parents and it's got the broadband on it, that's the one I want to move.

Realistically, who uses phone books these days? Why not port the number you want to keep onto the relevant line, and cancel the other one? Instant annual saving of about £190.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport