British Gas Asking Me To Phone As I'm Switching - Online Meter Readings Not Accepted?

Options
597money
597money Posts: 42 Forumite
edited 30 October 2013 at 7:19PM in Energy
I am currently in the process of switching to M&S energy.

British Gas have emailed asking me to phone them to discuss a better deal and if not interested in that to submit meter readings so they can check this against the reading M&S provides them.

Is this required? I have tried submitting online but it is just saying error for the past 4 days presumingly to try to force you to phone in. I have not even got a live date from M&S energy yet - what are they playing at?

Do I need to phone them or should all my contact be with M&S Energy now including providing meter readings?

TIA

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    British Gas have been using outside call centres for a couple of years now to gather meter readings presumably because its cheaper than using meter readers. It wont be some sort of scam to get you to be talked round by them but more likely a problem with either your meter or the numbers you are imputing. If you have a metric meter only the first 5 numbers, including leading zeros , are used. Imperial meters, its the first 4 numbers only. There is a possibility that you have a different type of meter to what they think you have, a metric/imperial mix up
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Normal procedure is for you to be asked for your readings by M&S Energy(i.e SSE). No reason for you to contact BG at all.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • 597money
    597money Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks. I guess it could be I submitted readings 3 weeks or so back so it may only allow one reading per month. I know the readings are correct as the are close to the previously accepted readings. One even has a leading zero - it is BG site being difficult. I even tried the automated service and that tried to direct me to a person.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If the switch is in progress there's a fair chance that your British Gas account has now been frozen if you've already sent your meter read to M&S and the switch is virtually complete.

They might just want you to confirm your reading- I doubt there's anything sinister about it
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • LuSiVe
    LuSiVe Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Yeah, I've found that British Gas nuke access to your account as soon as there's a switching date.

I need to get them to pay me ~£200 they still owe me (switched 8th October and I think I've had a final bill but of course I *can't* access is online) ... I've already cancelled the direct debit ... is there any chance I'll get a refund automatically or do I have to ring them and hassle them (I *hate* talking on the phone so if there's another option?)
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Your final bill would normally be sent by post if your onlne a/c has been closed. You should have left the DD in place until that final payment has been made. So you'll now need a manual payment arranging-usually takes about a month.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • LuSiVe
    LuSiVe Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I didn't cancel the direct debit. They took another payment after I had left, and in order to get it back they advised me to do a claim with the bank under the direct debit guarantee ... this had the effect of getting rid of the direct debit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure