13amp AGA or another induction range?

Options
Hi All

I wonder if anyone out there has had experience of this?....

I've moved into a house which is wired with a normal 13amp electricity supply for an electric AGA. The AGA was taken by the previous owner. I only have oil heating, there is no gas.

I was put off by buying another AGA as I heard the cost of running an electric AGA just for cooking (as it will not heat water or house) is £100 per month, so I have been looking at induction (induction as I've got used to this cooking over the years) range cookers, in particular the Stoves Richmond 900Ei.

I am awaiting a quote to install wiring for this cooker, which will be a day's work to run a 45amp circuit a fari distance to the kitchen for the cooker. As this could cost £500+ I'm considering my options again....my questions are:
  1. Does a 13amp AGA cost £100/month to run?
  2. Has anyone bought a new/reconned 13amp AGA recently and how much do they cost?
  3. Has anyone bought the Stoves Richmond 900Ei and what do you think?
  4. Has anyone got any other suggestions for what I should do, or another induction range which is good?
Many thanks in advance

Comments

• gmgmgm
    gmgmgm Posts: 511 Forumite
    Options
    1. Telephone Aga and ask them.

Whether it's induction or some other technology, electric stoves should be ~100% efficient. So assuming they heat the room equally, the costs will be equal as well.

You may find a competitor to Aga which is cheaper to run- but this is because it's not heating the room. That's the luxury of the Aga.
  • Onward_2
    Onward_2 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks gmgmgm. Yes I will continue researching with AGA but I was looking for real life running costs from consumers on here rather than AGA technical data.

As stated in my post, I will not be using the cooker for heating so it's just running costs for cooking. I understand that the AGA has to be on alot of the time to be up to cooking heat but I'm wondering if things like AGA AIMS have made them more economical as the electric AGA doesn't seem to have to be on all the time.

There are other cast iron induction ranges too, like Everhot and ESSE, anyone got views on these?

Thanks all again
  • pwllbwdr
    pwllbwdr Posts: 443 Forumite
    First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I recently had my aga converted to 13A by Midland Cookers (no affiliation). It does the job very well. I imagine they also sell reconditioned cookers.

I'm not entirely sure how much it will cost you to run as I've only had it in for 6 months and for most of those a lot of the power came from my solar PV. It is a significant contributor to the background heat levels in the kitchen.
  • gmgmgm
    gmgmgm Posts: 511 Forumite
    Options
    Onward, note I was not talking about heating the house, just the room. The whole point of an Aga is to make the room cosy, so it *will* heat the room. A bit.

Otherwise it would be a closed system and the electricity costs of whatever you choose will be identical, after the system has warmed up.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 October 2013 at 6:09PM
    Options
    You could get the same room warming effect by just buying a cheap conventional electric or gas cooker, setting the oven to a medium heat, opening the door and leaving it on 24 hours a day.

Incidentally, I think the 13 amp AGA uses a 2.5kw element, although it will be thermostatically controlled so not necessarily on all the time.

BTW I can also recommend Midland Cookers. No affiliation, just a customer.
  • Onward_2
    Options
    Thanks for the replies all. I'll look Midland Cookers up.

Nice idea re: warming room Gloomendoom! :) At the moment I have a space in the kitchen the size of an AGA and am cooking on camping hobs. The kitchen is a country farmhouse style and I'm in the country so would like a range of some sort. It's just weighing up the costs of my options given I now have wire the house with a 32 or 45amp circuit if I don't use the 13amp AGA circuit for another 13amp AGA, ESSE or suchlike....
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you want an AGA style cooker without the running costs, you could look at their six-four range. It will need a 30 amp supply though and it won't give off any background heat when it isn't being used.

AGA Twyford have reduced the price for the standard model by £500 at the moment.
  • WTFH
    WTFH Posts: 2,266 Forumite
    Options
    Are you talking about an Aga that has been converted to electric, or an Aga Masterchef?

Also, if you've got oil, you could always break the bank and get an oil fired one.
    On tickover, our rayburn uses roughly 50l of oil per week. That's without turning it up to cook on. Admitedly our rayburn is an old one, the newer ones are a lot more efficient.
    OK, I say it's without turning it up, it's warm enough to do perfect baked potatoes for lunch. Put them in at 8am and they are ready 4 hours later. Take them out, put cheese on them, then back in again for another half hour and you're in potato heaven.
    1. Have you tried to Google the answer?
    2. If you were in the other person's shoes, how would you react?
    3. Do you want a quick answer or better understanding?
  • Onward_2
    Options
    Thanks Gloomendoom, I'll look that up.
  • Ben84
    Ben84 Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 30 October 2013 at 7:15PM
    Options
    The 13 amp electric agas use about 250 kWh a week, which roughly turns in to £100 a month. A regular cooker is going to use something like £40-100 a year, depending if it's gas/electricity and how much you use it.

So, I wouldn't even consider an aga of any type. They're amazingly expensive to buy and use, and they have a colossal environmental impact for what they do.

Meanwhile, there are other options, including a propane cooker and cylinder. I used one when I had no mains gas and it wasn't excessively expensive, even though I cook often and a 47kg cylinder lasted a long time. It would also avoid the cost of installing a new circuit. Plus you get a gas cooker, which for me is a big bonus as I much prefer gas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure