credit card or debit

Options
hi I want to buy a new watch when I go to Tenerife I a couple of weeks but don't want to carry cash with me what is the best way to pay for this my own preference is Debit card as I don't really use my credit card .

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,638 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There are 2 advantages of using a credit card I can think of.
    Credit cards provide section 75 protection - this is a statutory right.
    Debut cards do offer chargebacks but it's not a statutory right, it's a service.

The other advantage is that you'll probably pay something like 3% currency commission feee on a debit card.
    Some credit cards (like Halifax Clarity do not charge any commission at all.

BTW - do NOT let them charge you in GBP sterling. If they shop do the conversion it will be at an expensive exchange rate.
    Paid in Euros and let your bank do the conversion - it will be cheaper than the shop.

You need to hurry if you want to get a CC.
    If you get the Halifax card give them a call to let them know your dates and location.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    There are 2 advantages of using a credit card I can think of.
    Credit cards provide section 75 protection - this is a statutory right.
    Debut cards do offer chargebacks but it's not a statutory right, it's a service.
    IMO neither is important for a holiday usage.
    The other advantage is that you'll probably pay something like 3% currency commission feee on a debit card.
    Some credit cards (like Halifax Clarity do not charge any commission at all.
    Neither do some debit cards.
    As most debit cards and credit cards charge about the same 3%, there is no any advantage unless it's some special card like Clarity.
    However, for drawing cash debit cards are normally better, and most people do withdraw some cash abroad.

MSE article: Your Card's Overseas Charges

And it's always worth having more than one card abroad.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,638 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    IMO neither is important for a holiday usage.

It's for a watch. I don't know how expensive but it is an item that could potentially go wrong (or be fake) and it can be difficult to deal with retailers abroad, so I'd say it's a good case for section 75 if it's expensive.
  • pelicanos_2
    Options
    thanks for that I intend to shop at a well known jewellers on the island so I expect the watch to be not fake. my own preference is debit solely because I have not used my credit card for years .hmm but you got me thinking
  • planteria
    planteria Posts: 5,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i never purchase anything on a debit card...i just use them for withdrawing cash
    credit card every time...but you dont want currency charges on your credit card
  • Fish_n_Chips
    Options
    pelicanos wrote: »
    hi I want to buy a new watch when I go to Tenerife

Don't buy it from the Lucky Lucky man on the beach....:eek:

PS He only takes cash.....:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income