Broken camera, out of warranty and retailer not responding

Hi there,
Three years and two months ago, I purchased a Nikon digital camera from Currys.

Since owning the camera, the lens has failed twice. First time, Nikon replaced under warranty, second time was a few weeks back. Nikon are not interested as the warranty has ran out.
I am extremely careful with my property and followed the manufacturers guides to the T. The fact that this has now happened a second time indicates to me that it is not of sufficient build quality and as such, under the sale of goods act it does not satisfy certain criteria.

I have emailed Currys twice so far and although they have acknowledged my email, they have made no efforts to get back to me. It has been almost one month, a month of no response and a month of no camera.
I didn't use a credit card to buy the camera but my HSBC Visa Debit. I know usually you can only do charge backs with a credit card. Is it worth me contacting HSBC on account of Curry's lack of response?

Any advice would be really good :)

Comments

• CoolHotCold
    CoolHotCold Posts: 2,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    The lack of response is poor but in no way illegal. Email is prioritised after live callers so if you want a response you should phone up.

As far as HSBC chargeback, you'll get somewhere between no hope and statically miniscule hope in getting anywhere.

As far as it stands, all you have is a faulty camera. You have no proof on how it came to be faulty, and so under the SoGA Currys is not responsible for anything.

See the top of the forum, read the Consumer Rights link and follow it. THEN if Currys is ignoring you come back here. But try phoning Currys first before going down the SoGA path.
  • The lack of response is poor but in no way illegal. Email is prioritised after live callers so if you want a response you should phone up.

As far as HSBC chargeback, you'll get somewhere between no hope and statically miniscule hope in getting anywhere.

As far as it stands, all you have is a faulty camera. You have no proof on how it came to be faulty, and so under the SoGA Currys is not responsible for anything.

See the top of the forum, read the Consumer Rights link and follow it. THEN if Currys is ignoring you come back here. But try phoning Currys first before going down the SoGA path.
    Thanks for your reply and clarification re the charge back.

In terms of SoGA, I have already read quite a lot in my book of law re Sales of Goods. I think I am in a good position to dispute as the item is clearly not of a satisfactory build quality. It has been used very little in its life and has not been able to last long at all. The fact it already failed once is a good sign that it is not of good enough build. As an avid camera user, I have several models including other Nikons (older ones) and have never experienced this issue. My other models are between 2,7 and 15 years old.

Re proof of fault, both times it has failed I have had friends around me. It has not been under strained use, it has literally broken as you take a shot.
    I would love to telephone them, but they insist on using numbers which are barred on my phone. I am unable to call anything which is not a local number or a free phone. Next step I am assuming would be to send a recorded letter?

Thanks for your help.
  • Jakg
    Jakg Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You need to PROVE its an inherent fault. Circumstance ("my other ones never failed", "I'm never rough with it") don't mean much unfortunately, you'll need to get an independent engineers report.
    Nothing I say represents any past, present or future employer.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I would love to telephone them, but they insist on using numbers which are barred on my phone. I am unable to call anything which is not a local number or a free phone.

I would suggest you have imposed the restriction, not Currys.

Have you looked at SayNoTo0870 for any alternative number?
  • WTFH
    WTFH Posts: 2,266 Forumite
    Take it to a camera shop and ask them to check it out and repair it.

What you appear to have is a broken camera. Not a reason to sue Currys, nor are you due a free repair, free replacement, or the sacrifice of a member of staff.

The camera shop may also be able to advise you on what caused the problem in the first place.

Without knowing the lens and the exact nature of the problem, it's hard to say what could have caused it.
    1. Have you tried to Google the answer?
    2. If you were in the other person's shoes, how would you react?
    3. Do you want a quick answer or better understanding?
  • earthstorm
    earthstorm Posts: 2,134 Forumite
    OP if you are anywhere near London you could take it to Greys of Westminster , they are Exclusive Nikon Dealers and the ones i use for my Nikon equipment.
  • frugal_mike
    frugal_mike Posts: 1,687 Forumite
    WTFH wrote: »
    Take it to a camera shop and ask them to check it out and repair it.

What you appear to have is a broken camera. Not a reason to sue Currys, nor are you due a free repair, free replacement, or the sacrifice of a member of staff.

The camera shop may also be able to advise you on what caused the problem in the first place.

Without knowing the lens and the exact nature of the problem, it's hard to say what could have caused it.

I'm not sure we have enough information to say that for sure. If the fault is inherent and the camera is deemed to have not lasted a reasonable time then the op certainly is due a free repair, replacement or partial refund. Only the engineers report can confirm that.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    How much did you pay for the camera and what is the fault?

I wouldn't expect a £30-£90 camera to last any more than three years but would expect a more expensive one to last longer.

I have a DSLR bought for £500ish five years ago and I wouldn't be too annoyed if it didn't last much longer, it's had a good life for a camera of it's spec and age. I wouldn't expect it to last much longer based on it's price.
  • earthstorm
    earthstorm Posts: 2,134 Forumite
    Yes the OP has not stated if it was a DSLR or point and shoot, but still if the OP can i suggest Greys of Westminster and they only deal in Nikons, so will be able to carry out an independent report with all their Nikon Knowledge
  • Hi, thanks for your post. I do sometimes work in London, so could give Greys a try.
    It is a Nikon DSLR and cost around £500 and at just over 3 years old, I am not happy based on the age. Especially considering I have already had to send the lens off to Nikon once. The lens in question is the 18-55mm, whilst the body is fine, I bought it as a set so presume if I am to pursue matters, I must consider both items together as a whole.
    Have owned many DSLRs including cheaper Nikons, and much more expensive. Have a range of Nikkor lenses and have had no problems with any of my others. All my lenses are housed and transported in a safe and sensible way so I know it is not a user error or over use.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure