Question about my obligation to a ppi reclaim company

Options
A few months ago we contacted a gentleman that we knew delt with reclaiming ppi.
He came to ur house and together we filled out some forms mainly regarding one particular loan still being paid off. When he left he gave us strict instuctions to contact another 2 banks to obtain account numbers to old loans and credit card accounts.
He said he would post off the reclaim form for the main loan we had been filling forms out for that evening.
10 weeks later we still had not heard anything from our loan company regarding our claim. So we called them and no claim had been made.
So we asked for a claim form and filled it our for ourselves.
3 weeks later we have a letter stating the settlement. Reduced loan repayments and the rest via cheque.
My question is what is my obligation to this man as my original form could still be sitting on his desk collecting dust? We literally made the claim ourselves!
I m not trying to get out of paying our fee because of greed I m just resentful of paying a person for doing nothing when the money...our money could be helping
us out of a difficult few years of financial tightrope walking we ve found
ourselves in.
Many thanks for listening.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My question is what is my obligation to this man as my original form could still be sitting on his desk collecting dust? We literally made the claim ourselves!

When you found out that the form had not been submitted did you contact the man to tell him that you no longer wished to use his services?
    What are the cancellation requirements of your contract?
    Did you even sign a contract?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • hanneymanor
    Options
    Hi , we called him and told him what had happened ....he said he didnt understand why his letter had not arrived but said " oh well i ll have to come round and fill it all out again."
    we didnt sign a contract but we did sign many documents for the claim...if any of them were for the rights to a % of the claim that was not stated to us. Cancellation of his services were never discussed.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If there is no contract then you have no commitment. Indeed, you may want to check the claims management register to see if he is on there. He has broken a number of rules already by the sounds of it and he may not even be authorised to be a claims management company.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • magpiecottage
    Options
    He is of course exempt from the Claims Management regulations if he is a volunteer (i.e. unpaid).
  • hanneymanor
    Options
    Thank u so much for your help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills