Spilt juice on pc monitor power supply!

Options
As the title suggests i have manged to spill some juice on an old monitor lead and its stopped working.

The monitor is a packard bell (L15c) and is a tft but a very old one. It has one of those power supplies that connects via a 12v DC input (into back of monitor) and then into a brick, which then has a splitter cable that runs from the back of the pc, into the brick and then plugs into the socket.

Pc still works fine, so the lead works fine, but the monitor has no power (it was on when i spilled the juice). There are no screws on the brick and im not sure how else i can open it?

Is there anyway i can dry it out and try and get it to work again?

The power supply model is: Linearity LAD6019AB4

Any suggestions on what i can do?

Thanks

Comments

• benje302
    benje302 Posts: 207 Forumite
    Options
    Have you tried changing the fuse on the socket ?
    It is probably not that but worth a try.

Otherwise you can buy a replacement "brick" as you call it on Ebay for £8.99 delivered.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-Power-Adapter-for-LCD-Linearity-LAD6019AB4-12V-4A-/170655378757?pt=UK_Computing_LaptopAccessories_PowerSupplies&hash=item27bbda6d45#ht_3361wt_919

Cheers

Ben
  • Lifeforms
    Lifeforms Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    Options
    Throw it in a bag of rice for a few days and try it again afterwards.

juice is sticky, so might have damaged the brick, however as it's stand alone, as suggested if the top doesn't work, try and buy another one. Lets assume it didn't blow the monitor with a power surge when it happened, so therefore theoretically you should be ok with a power brick replacement.
  • dezz99
    dezz99 Posts: 494 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    benje302 wrote: »
    Have you tried changing the fuse on the socket ?
    It is probably not that but worth a try.

Otherwise you can buy a replacement "brick" as you call it on Ebay for £8.99 delivered.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-Power-Adapter-for-LCD-Linearity-LAD6019AB4-12V-4A-/170655378757?pt=UK_Computing_LaptopAccessories_PowerSupplies&hash=item27bbda6d45#ht_3361wt_919

Cheers

Ben

Cheers

The plug is still working because it has one of those splitter cables that runs into the brick and also into the back of the pc. The pc still switches on so im guessing it cant be a faulty fuse or plug?

I did see that ebay listing but i was thinking is it worth paying £9 to fix a 10 year old monitor, maybe i should just look to get a cheap 2nd hand/refurb monitor?
  • dezz99
    Options
    Lifeforms wrote: »
    Throw it in a bag of rice for a few days and try it again afterwards.

juice is sticky, so might have damaged the brick, however as it's stand alone, as suggested if the top doesn't work, try and buy another one. Lets assume it didn't blow the monitor with a power surge when it happened, so therefore theoretically you should be ok with a power brick replacement.

Thanks i will try that. I did try and dry it on the radiator last night but sadly its still not working this morning.

Are these bricks not possible to open and dry/clean that way?

I was worried it might have blown the monitor but because the power supply is so old on these monitors i cant get one just to try it out and see first. My concern is that i waste £9 buying a new brick/adapter and then find out thats not the problem.
  • benje302
    Options
    As your monitor is old and if you decide to replace it with a 2nd hand one I am guessing you will only need one with a VGA connection. If you only require one that is 4:3 (normal) and not 16:9 (wide screen) you could pick one up for £20 - £25 (or cheaper). If you are on facebook, most areas have local buying sites so there might be one on your doorstep.
  • dezz99
    Options
    As your monitor is old and if you decide to replace it with a 2nd hand one I am guessing you will only need one with a VGA connection. If you only require one that is 4:3 (normal) and not 16:9 (wide screen) you could pick one up for £20 - £25 (or cheaper). If you are on facebook, most areas have local buying sites so there might be one on your doorstep.

Yes it is a vga connector mate. I just tried a different monitor on that pc but used the same vga cable that was on the juice spilt monitor and it worked fine. So that rules out a vga connector problem.

I dont require anything fancy, i think this is a 16 inch monitor, not wide screen etc. So something really basic will do me fine, as the pc is so old anyway.
  • benje302
    Options
    dezz99 wrote: »
    Yes it is a vga connector mate. I just tried a different monitor on that pc but used the same vga cable that was on the juice spilt monitor and it worked fine. So that rules out a vga connector problem.

I dont require anything fancy, i think this is a 16 inch monitor, not wide screen etc. So something really basic will do me fine, as the pc is so old anyway.

In that case, I would ask around as many people replace these with 19" models so you might be able to get one for free :)

If you have to pay for one. I would not pay more than £10 for a 16" model.
  • dezz99
    Options
    In that case, I would ask around as many people replace these with 19" models so you might be able to get one for free :)

If you have to pay for one. I would not pay more than £10 for a 16" model.

Thanks mate, where is good to go and ask around?

I have sent you a pm also..
  • vuvuzela
    vuvuzela Posts: 3,648 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks i will try that. I did try and dry it on the radiator last night but sadly its still not working this morning.

Are these bricks not possible to open and dry/clean that way?

I was worried it might have blown the monitor but because the power supply is so old on these monitors i cant get one just to try it out and see first. My concern is that i waste £9 buying a new brick/adapter and then find out thats not the problem.

No, they're not designed to be user-servicable in the main. They could also contain a capacitor with enough charge to give you a nasty shock.
  • elektra
    elektra Posts: 1,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Thanks mate, where is good to go and ask around?

I have sent you a pm also..

have a look at freecycle, Charity shops ( British Heart have one that do electrical items), ebay
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure