MSE News: Blockbuster heads for administration: Q&A on your rights

"Movie and gaming rental firm Blockbuster is on the brink of going into administration again, it's been announced today..."
Read the full story:

Blockbuster heads for administration: Q&A on your rights

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    A little while ago Blockbusters were giving customerS a chance to reserve
    the new playstation by paying a £20. deposit. When I enquired what would happen if the group failed again I was told no risk of that as they had funding for the next three years.

PleaseD I went by my own gut instinct and went elsewhere.

Also they use to have 4 films for a tenner but now its down to 3.
  • On your
    Blockbuster heads for administration: Q&A on your rights link it states

"Can I get a refund for faulty or undelivered items? If something goes wrong, or it's confirmed that Blockbuster isn't offering refunds, then under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act, card firms are jointly liable with a retailer if something goes wrong, if the item you bought cost over £100. But most of what Blockbuster sells costs less than that."

I payed the full ps4 price, so that come 29th I didn't have to take any money in. But I payed in cash, does the above still apply, that they have to refund. I spoke to them and they said they will only give store credit, or they can give me contact details to get a refund higher up.

Can I not simply go in store and quote the Sale of Goods Act 1979 and get a cash refund?
  • The website is still selling stuff and a lot is at a very good price. However, am I safe buying from the website?
  • I decided to pay £200 deposit towards the cost of a PS4 but I now have to write to the head office for a refund. To me this seems like a time delaying tactic to avoid paying back deposits and store credits. Would it be wise to spend the credit quickly before administration looms or hold out for a full refund? I stupidly paid in cash as well :mad:
  • time2save
    time2save Posts: 129 Forumite
    Hasn't something like this happend before?
    Time to change for the better! :):):)
  • time2save
    time2save Posts: 129 Forumite
    nehctik wrote: »
    On your
    Blockbuster heads for administration: Q&A on your rights link it states

"Can I get a refund for faulty or undelivered items? If something goes wrong, or it's confirmed that Blockbuster isn't offering refunds, then under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act, card firms are jointly liable with a retailer if something goes wrong, if the item you bought cost over £100. But most of what Blockbuster sells costs less than that."

I payed the full ps4 price, so that come 29th I didn't have to take any money in. But I payed in cash, does the above still apply, that they have to refund. I spoke to them and they said they will only give store credit, or they can give me contact details to get a refund higher up.

Can I not simply go in store and quote the Sale of Goods Act 1979 and get a cash refund?

I think you'd be on the back of the line with the rest of the creditors I'm afraid :(, next time it may be best to pay be debit or credit card as you then have a chance to get a refund from the card provider.

You could still go into the store to ask though?
    Time to change for the better! :):):)
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 31 October 2013 at 8:15PM
    Bobski27 wrote: »
    I decided to pay £200 deposit towards the cost of a PS4 but I now have to write to the head office for a refund. To me this seems like a time delaying tactic to avoid paying back deposits and store credits. Would it be wise to spend the credit quickly before administration looms or hold out for a full refund? I stupidly paid in cash as well :mad:

Ask in store as already suggested to another poster.

Who said to write to HO ? Was that the answer from the store ?
  • DCFC79 wrote: »
    Ask in store as already suggested to another poster.

Who said to write to HO ? Was that the answer from the store ?

I also paid in cash, the full £430 for the Xbox One :/

And yes all people going into stores are being told to claim a full refund, write to Blockbuster UK at Harefield Place, The Drive, Uxbridge, UB10 8AQ. Include your name, the branch you placed an order, the order number, and a copy of the receipt.

Or email, onlinestore@blockbuster.co.uk
  • lynnemcf
    lynnemcf Posts: 1,233 Forumite
    I tried to cancel my Blockbuster online account, but they are not taking telephone calls and there is no facility online to do this. I've not had a disk for 3 weeks now, and they are not answering emails.
  • i have a smilar problem.
    i have a new job 0900-1800 mon to fri
    cant get though on website
    not talking calls cant get through
    today they took 9.99 that i really cant afford but im unable to get through to them.

now some of my bills wont be covered
    dont know what to do
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family