Steps towards making the dream a reality...

Options

Comments

• niftythrifty33
    Options
    More decorating, with left over paint, feeling great for getting on with it.

Signed on yesterday. Had a lovely interviewer who sympathised with the stress from my last job. Explained how it all works, I have to go back this Thursday and might get a payment in a few weeks.

Put kids savings into their new ISA's
    Put £440 into current acct (see last post) transferred £200 into Christmas acct.

Called Talk Talk about deal to get a free freeview box, still can't decode whether it's a good deal. Would appreciate any advice out there. Also concerned that we wont get a good reception with an arial as live very rural.

Had Asda delivery today. Spent £38 and got loads of stuff, it's just a bit embarrasing that everything was value.

Apart from Asda, have only spent £6 this week on school lunch stuff and exercise class for me & DH :j
  • SmlSave
    SmlSave Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well done for getting on with your decorating
    Had Asda delivery today. Spent £38 and got loads of stuff, it's just a bit embarrasing that everything was value.
    There's nothing wrong with the value range. We tend to be really good for a while and then the brands start creaping back in.
    Currently studying for a Diploma - wish me luck :)

Phase 1 - Emergency Fund - Complete :j
    Phase 2 - £20,000 Mortgage Fund - Underway
  • niftythrifty33
    Options
    Thanks SmlSave, it really doesn't bother me buying value stuff (can't say the same for DH). I just so wish it all came in better packaging. I think Asda is the worst. I'm sure they could come up with something cheap to print but not as ugly! It's always so obvious when I'm being frugal by the packaging in the cupboards:)
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    Hi Nifty, not sure if this will help but how about looking in the cupboards and thinking every value item is getting you closer to your destination?

I tell multiple people that I shop in Aldi and Lidi - always get shocked faces :rotfl:

Good luck with your plans.

Tilly x
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • niftythrifty33
    Options
    Thanks Tilly, I don't mind the packaging in Aldi/Lidl it's nowhere near as bad as the value packaging in the other shops. But Asda value stuff is so much cheaper than everywhere else and recently I've found Lidl not that cheap and in some cases more expensive than brand items, but I do love their cold meats :)
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,984 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just wanted to say I'm reading along. And yeah, get the value packaging stuff but actually have some nice storage pots from my not so MSE days so can decant and no-one knows.

Every budget shop is a shop closer to being MF and really does it matter what people think when they look in the cupboard. My poshest richest pal makes me laugh when she tells people the cheeseboard came from an 'artisan cheese shop' when I know full well its the co-op budget buy :rotfl:And she giggles that people believe her after they have left. But we both agree - why spend more?
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • sweetdaisy
    sweetdaisy Posts: 1,249 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Called Talk Talk about deal to get a free freeview box, still can't decode whether it's a good deal. Would appreciate any advice out there. Also concerned that we wont get a good reception with an arial as live very rural.

We live in a semi-rural area and can't get Freeview as we are in a dip and don't get a good enough reception, even with a booster ariel. I have Freesat from Sky and we have had it around 9 years (I think?) and at the time paid a one off fee of £150 a got a satellite dish. I love it because there is no monthly payment and there is more than enough programmes to watch.
  • niftythrifty33
    Options
    Very proud of my budgeting and frugality skills this week :A

Today I have a meeting at a recruitment agency but it's 40 miles away so I'm going to drive (slowly-ish) and park away from the town and walk in to save on parking fees.

This week we have only spent £38 (Asda) £13 (school dinners 3 days) £12.70 dentist £22 decorating stuff. This is good for us but it's the weekend that's usually our downfall so I will set a budget today for the next week and do my best to stick to it.

Cooked from scratch all week and have kept driving to a real minimum. I still can't work out whether we can put any money into the ISA but just staying in the black at the moment whilst I'm off work will be good.

I have always wanted to do a blog, do any of you do one and how does it all work. I would like to have different sections on my favourite stuff ie. budgeting/cooking for large families/dieting & fitness/upcycling clothes etc. but I wouldn't know where to start!

Happy Friday everyone x
  • niftythrifty33
    Options
    Okay so I've not been at all good at keeping this diary thing up! :(

Loads has been going on. I have inherited a bit of money which is such a blessing (thankfully not from a bereavement) so have put it aside but currently unsure what to do with it.

I was claiming JSA as I'm now out of work but that may be stopped due to complications with my last job which is very frustrating. So, I may have to use the savings. But whatever happens it is a time of real frugality at the moment. Luckily we have money saved for Christmas so we're being a bit tighter this year but I'm sure the kids will still have a lovely time.

We're still not making a dent on the mortgage but I know it's going to start soon, I just need to find a job! The two eldest are now working so apart from giving them money for dinners, they are pretty much buying all their own stuff.

So, I'm back and still determined just a bit all over the place at the mo' :)
  • niftythrifty33
    Options
    Well that was a turn up for the books, I've only gone and got myself a new job :j

It's only 12 hours p/w over Christmas with a possibility of permanent contract after Christmas. It's in a department store, completely different to anything I've ever done before and all a bit surreal at the moment. It is also half the pay per hour of what I was on before but I don't care. If I'm lucky enough to get taken on permanently I will start up the cleaning business in the new year that I've been wanting to do for some time.

I still need to decide where to put the gift we were given. I want to put it all into an ISA but DH thinks we will need it to live off while I'm not earning much.

We bought the 6 bottles of wine/Port deal in Morrisons last week saving 33%, then I used £9 vouchers from my Pinecone research. Managed to get a really good deal including 2 presents (and a bottle of château Neuf Du Pap for me yum yum)

I've bought DH's pressies and most of the kids stuff but need to do a list...I LOVE lists :)

Have a good Saturday everyone, I'm off to put up the decs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport