Steps towards making the dream a reality...

Options

Comments

• niftythrifty33
    Options
    Feeling great...have got to the end of the month and we're in quite a lot of credit (for us!) plus I will get a little bit of cash today for helping a friend out with some cleaning. I'm seriously wondering whether to start this up properly as friends appreciate it so much, I'm sure others would too. Though I've never done tax stuff before?

Lush day out planned for tomorrow and have to pay for my friend as a birthday treat but shouldn't be too much. Dh is out tonight, hopefully he wont spend too much on beer (I'm so tight when it comes to drinking out :o )

Can't wait until mothers day as I'm staying on the sofa ALL day watching old films woohoo :j

Happy Friday fellow mortgage free wannabees :beer:
  • Pearla*Merle
    Pearla*Merle Posts: 1,611 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hello niftythrifty! I've loved reading your diary - really liked the frugal tips as well, I've noted some of those down for future use. :D (do keep sharing! ;))

Tax stuff - it's super easy, if you keep track of things (just basic income & expenses) throughout the year it will take you literally two minutes to do the form. Look up self employment tax form (short form) on HMRC and it'll give you an idea of what you need to write up come tax time (it's literally two pages).

I've been experiencing the same thing re: job stuff as you - calling time on the stressful, overworked side of things and looking to do something a bit more calmer so I can get on with having a life! It's lovely to hear you're well on your way. :)

A cleaning business sounds great, I rather fancy doing something similar as well (I like working away by myself!). I'm not really sure where I'd start look as there aren't many people around here I know that would be after my services... or maybe I could put the word out among friends and see if they know others who would be interested (never thought of that! Haha, thanks for letting me think out loud on your diary, I feel like I just took a big step forward!)

Re: online stuff for extra monies - I swear by Valued Opinions, Ipsos and OnePoll (I have some referral codes if you'd like :D), I also do Nectar Adpoints occasionally (though that can be a bit hard going these days) and WH Smith surveys. It's worth looking into Bzz Agent if you're interested in getting free stuff for product testing, and also Super Savvy Me (who also do lots of vouchers). A lot of people seem to use Consumer Pulse and Pinecone, but I've not managed to get accepted into their ranks yet :(

Hope you have a fab day tomorrow, a whole day of old films is completely my cup of tea! :D
    a penny picker upper. MFW approx 78% to go | FIRE 3 years worth (30% savings rate: now aiming for 40%!) | Normality is a paved road; it's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it | Whatever you're meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible | The only thing you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library
  • niftythrifty33
    Options
    Thank you Pearla for your lovely reply. It's great that we can come on here and share thoughts and ideas. I've been asked to do some cleaning by someone else (word of mouth again) so I really need to start taking this seriously as my current job is minimum pay and right in the middle of the day so it stops me doing anything else.

I had a lovely day yesterday, although I didn't watch any films I did manage to sit on the sofa for HOURS and refused to do anything :D

More banking and spread sheet filling done today. Have transferred £150 as OP and £150 into savings. I hope this doesn't leave us short in April? I have set a spending amount for the whole of April for food/petrol/clubs etc so will take it out in 2 chunks as if I do it now we will def' be overdrawn.

Off to the allotment today as I'm still on holiday until tomorrow.

We've almost nearly decided to pull out of the move as we're really not sure if it's the right time with 2 of the 3 teens leaving in the next few years!

I've done a meal plan for this week and need a bit of food so will go to L1dl, and I'm determined NOT to buy any junk food this week!!
  • Pearla*Merle
    Options
    Sounds like a good idea re: the move, your wants/needs in a house will probably radically change as the kids go off out into the world and it's definitely easier to navigate all that when you're actually experiencing it :)
    a penny picker upper. MFW approx 78% to go | FIRE 3 years worth (30% savings rate: now aiming for 40%!) | Normality is a paved road; it's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it | Whatever you're meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible | The only thing you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library
  • niftythrifty33
    Options
    You're right Pearly, it's very hard to imagine and then before you blink they've got to 18! I do know that a lot of kids these days can't afford to move out after uni or don't go to uni as in our case so they could be with us for years yet but who knows?

We both think that doing another house up will really stretch us financially and leave no room for doing fun things. So on the bright side I can carry on with my obsession of paying the mortgage off early.

I just had a play around with the overpayment calculator...that thing is sooooo addictive but in a good way as it encourages me to keep overpaying :j
  • niftythrifty33
    Options
    Not feeling too 'nifty' today _pale_ been feeling sick. Just got in from work and wanted to quickly update the diary before I possible fall asleep!

Bargain of the day-forgot to pay for my eye test the other day then a voucher for a free test came today in the post so I went in and used it, had to do a fair bit of blagging as the lovely lady said it's supposed to be used at the time...bit more blagging (white lying) and job done so save £20 :T

Used the butcher and a shop that sells food by the weight into bags and even though both are slightly more expensive, I find as there's no temptation to buy other unnecessary stuff it actually saves loads!

Took out £150 cash to last this week and possible some of next week.
    Paid a store card (I hate them) in full. I took it out for DH to save £8 on a coat a few weeks ago as I knew I'd pay in full then will probably get rid of it.

Bought a 'pay your mortgage off quickly' ebook on Amazon which was AWFUL so got a refund :)

Bought milk for £1 and was going to buy bread but will use breadmaker instead.
    Right, off to clean the house, put tea on and then sleep!
  • niftythrifty33
    Options
    £36 made on fleabay today, just need to reduce postage costs then will transfer balance as OP.

Got bought a chinese for tea so the stuff I'd bought will be used tomorrow. Free tea :j

Tomorrow I'm having a pedicure and massage bought for me for mothers day, so...tomorrow will be LUSH :beer:
  • niftythrifty33
    Options
    Lovely weekend with family. Also, didn't spend anything as we did all free activities :D

I had already done a meal plan therefore cooking was really easy and and it meant no quick take-aways bought.

We've taken our house off the market and we're not going through with buying the house. It's a relief! and also means our money will now be going straight against the mortgage OP's, though there are some jobs that need doing but will save up separately for those.

I'm on a new diet (again) so will need to buy some bits that I wouldn't normally buy (posh veg lol) but have a meal plan for the week and a shopping list.

We're going away this weekend, just me and DH which might get costly so I need to pre-plan and get as many vouchers as I can without hubby realising we're scrimping :D

I've decided not to do fleabay any more, after postage I just don't make enough for it to be worth the time. So will try the local facebook selling page or take to charity.

Tip of the day: Use empty spray bottle, fill with tiny bit of bleach then add water for a cheap kitchen cleaner :)
  • Pearla*Merle
    Options
    Bargain of the day-forgot to pay for my eye test the other day then a voucher for a free test came today in the post so I went in and used it, had to do a fair bit of blagging as the lovely lady said it's supposed to be used at the time...bit more blagging (white lying) and job done so save £20 :T
    Brilliant work! :T Well done you!
  • niftythrifty33
    Options
    Thanks Pearla.

Forgot to say I had possibly THE best bargain on buildings & contents Ins in January. Looked at comparison site and found L&G we're cheapest at £150 for 12 months. So, went through t0pc@shback and got £52.50 cashback (though still pending as states it takes 6 months I think?). Then got letter in post for £100 M&S vouchers if using L&G direct, 'not' using a price comparison site. So I called them up saying I'd just bought it and hadn't used a comparison site (though didn't mention I'd used a cashback site), so they sent me the vouchers. So I actually made a £2.50 profit on 12 months insurance :money: that's got to be up there as one of the best of my bargains!

DD needed new trainers so £40 down the swanny. Got a builder in doing some essential work and we're taking the kids (not really kids anymore) out for tea as a treat, trying to get the balance right with saving/OP's/having fun! But I'm tracking everything and still hope to have enough to OP something at the end of April :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure