Charged credit card fee when using a debit card!?

Options
I booked flights with Ryanair which came to a total of £329. I had selected pay with debit card. When going though to the payment of the flight and it asked me to select a card I selected visa. I then noticed on my bank statement I had been charged £336. When I questioned Ryanair they stated that in the payment process I had selected visa and not visa debit therefore I was charged credit card fee which was not refundable. Are they allowed to charge for a credit card payment when I paid on a debit card? Would be grateful if anyone has any advice! It's not even the money it's the principal!

Comments

• roonaldo
    roonaldo Posts: 3,420 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    so basically when you paid you told ryan air that you had visa credit card, as you could have selected the visa debit card option. therefore they charged you the credit card price (as ryan air give you a debit card and credit card fare price).
    how is this ryan air's fault?
  • Sian2516
    Options
    In the payment method I just selected Visa and not Visa debit but if I didn't use a credit card can they charge me was my question!!!
  • roonaldo
    roonaldo Posts: 3,420 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    you could argue its a little misleading as you do have Visa. but surely it came up with the correct cost when it comes to your bank security thing and you put your password in?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure