h.x.b.c Research

Hello
Has anyone recieved a letter from these people claiming that you maybee related to a deceased person of the same surname as yours. They claim to work for a diverse range of clients and repatriate overseas property and bank accounts there address is a po box on the isle of wight . I am almost certain its a con but also find it insensitive as my father has just passed away in the last few months and it was addressed to him :mad:
Nice to save.

Comments

• lavalamp
    lavalamp Posts: 236 Forumite
    I haven't Nellybee, but I'd be willing to bet it's a scam of some description.

Sorry for your loss - i hope you're holding up as well as can be expected.
  • Nellybee wrote: »
    Hello
    Has anyone recieved a letter from these people claiming that you maybee related to a deceased person of the same surname as yours. They claim to work for a diverse range of clients and repatriate overseas property and bank accounts there address is a po box on the isle of wight . I am almost certain its a con but also find it insensitive as my father has just passed away in the last few months and it was addressed to him :mad:

Nelly It's 99.99999% a con, pass the letter on to your local Trading Standards dept.
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    There are genuine firms of this nature - though if your instinct says it's a con it probably is. Having just a PO Box address is not a good start - nor would asking for money upfront be.

Whether real or a con I'm sure that it's just a coincidence that it coincided with your father's death - nothing sinister there.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    They will take an upfront fee, telling you they will research, they may or may not do this research, they will tell you they have found that you are not related to anyone of any means and then laugh all the way to the bank with your up front fee. Along with hundreds or thousand of others

Just ignore them, they really are not worth a second look
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • LaCoco
    LaCoco Posts: 19 Forumite
    My husband got one of these today as well. We thought at first it was an odd attempt to track him down, as he's been completely estranged from his family for years - name changed, everything. I'm quite relieved to see it's "just" a scam, although I'm so sorry for your loss.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Not even google has heard of them!
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 October 2013 at 6:50PM
    Yahoo does now, this thread is the one and only entry in the list.
  • We've had one of these too! Have you got a common surname? One of ours is 'Black' and is asking if we are related to a Mr Andrew Black who died 14/06/2005 in Queen Margaret Hospital Dunfermline. No idea if this person is real or not as we don't have an Ancestry account but the whole thing smells of scam. Even the email is just a Gmail one; doesn't even have its own domain name!
  • It really looks like a scam to me. Just received the exact same letter in the post this morning as well. A Mr Andrew Black, date of death 14/06/2005 at Queen Margaret Hospital Dunfermline, Ky12 0Su. Ref at the top of the page is HDRPblack2350.
  • My husband and son both had the exact same letter today, it is now on the fire
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure