To cyber beg or not?????

Options
After struggling with many issues I now find myself in 20k of debt! I have taken the positive steps and am in debt management but with 20 years left it's a daunting prospect! I have 3 young children, I work and I have sold what I can in order to reduce my debts yet they still remain! I have reduced my outgoings, I.e cancelling virgin etc and yet I'm still finding it hard to manage! So I thought why not ask people to help me? But I've never begged or asked for anyone for anything, hence the debt! But now I have my children to support and it cannot got on! I can't do bankruptcy or iva due to my job as I would lose it, becoming worse off! Has anyone else ever tried such a drastic measure? Would it actually work? I'm at my wits end!! There will be no Santa this year!

Comments

• Toomuchdebt
    Toomuchdebt Posts: 2,128 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have children to support too and am a single parent and wouldn't dream of asking people to help pay it off.I also wouldn't pay a penny to someone who begged for help paying a debt off.Sorry.
    Debts Jan 2014 £20,108.34 :eek:

EF #70 £0/£1000

SW 1st 4lbs
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,347 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Post up your SOA here (use this: http://www.stoozing.com/calculator/soa.php ) and people will help with advice, encouragement, and suggestions for free christmassy things to do.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I donate to lots of causes throughout the year, some on crowdfunding websites or whatever they are called, but I wouldn't give someone money for debt that they had rung up, unless it was perhaps medical bills or something urgent like that...

I have donated to a woman who is raising money to stay alive for her children longer, thanks to cancer drugs that help prolong her life, but apart from that I wouldn't donate to someone in debt because of buying too much, overspending and failing to budget when I've worked so hard myself to stay out of debt.

No offence meant by that just being honest.

I agree with theoretica, please post your SOA and people will offer advice where they can. MSE is fantastic for helping you find ways to save money xx
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    I will help with advice, but I won't give you any money. I hope you are using a free debt management company, one that doesn't rip you off with charges.

If you post your statement of affairs there are plenty of people who will help with suggestions on how you can cut your spending.

http://www.stoozing.com/calculator/soa.php

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • CFC
    CFC Posts: 3,119 Forumite
    Options
    After struggling with many issues I now find myself in 20k of debt! I have taken the positive steps and am in debt management but with 20 years left it's a daunting prospect! I have 3 young children, I work and I have sold what I can in order to reduce my debts yet they still remain! I have reduced my outgoings, I.e cancelling virgin etc and yet I'm still finding it hard to manage! So I thought why not ask people to help me? But I've never begged or asked for anyone for anything, hence the debt! But now I have my children to support and it cannot got on! I can't do bankruptcy or iva due to my job as I would lose it, becoming worse off! Has anyone else ever tried such a drastic measure? Would it actually work? I'm at my wits end!! There will be no Santa this year!

You want an instant fix to the problems you have got yourself into.

The same need for instant gratification got you into trouble in the first place.
  • Moneymash
    Options
    Do you have credit card or loan ppi you can claim back?
    Debt-Free day 30th September 2014
  • Sazzie23
    Sazzie23 Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Post of the Month
    Options
    :D

Hi Helpapp

I think the general consensus here is no! But you have my sympathies for considering it, sometimes stuff happens that we don't expect and we are not in the same position to pay that we might be, divorce, illness, redundancy etc.

Honestly I don't think it would work and you would make yourself open to a lot of abuse for asking. If your job prohibits you from IVA I suspect begging maybe considered inappropriate too!

Can you sell your house to reduce mortgage payments, maybe pay off some debt - release some cash to increase your dmp repayments, but only if rental costs would be lower than mortgage?

Can you get more work hours, second job? - even an extra tenner a week would reduce your payments long term. Sharing childcare ?remember too your children will not be young forever and as they grow you will have more time to be able to work more hours, pay off more and see the end getting closer. Don't give up, post your SOA and join some of the challenges to get your expenses down and give you a feeling of control. Trust me, you haven't seen frugal til you've been on some of the challenge sites:rotfl:Ask family to buy presents for the children, and get the children on board, they may be young but they need to understand.

20K is do-able, make it happen :D
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027 :T

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
  • lauzt1987
    lauzt1987 Posts: 371 Forumite
    Options
    You haven't been reading 'Save Karen' have you OP? :)
  • geeka
    geeka Posts: 239 Forumite
    Options
    I would never dream of begging, i got myself into debt and I got out of it, its hard but you can do it. You won't get much sympathy if you have being living beyond your means, we need more details like how you got into debt in the first place? do you get support from the kids dad?
  • tiger_eyes
    tiger_eyes Posts: 1,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Leaving aside the ethics of begging, this surely can't be practical. Maybe you can beg a little money this month, but what happens next month? Next year? When the boiler needs replacing? When the kids need new shoes? You can't always be dipping into the same well (if there even is a well). You need a sustainable long-term solution to your money issues. This is like asking your neighbours for a sandbag when your house is built on a floodplain. Even a hundred sandbags won't build real, permanent flood defences to protect you in the long term.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure