Halifax mortgage protection & life insurance refused to pay for Benign Brain Tumour

Options
Hi,
I have had a house mortgage with Halifax since year 2000. I had purchased a total mortgage protection plan and life cover with it. Recently I fell ill and had a brain surgery to remove a benign brain tumor.
On Recovery, I contacted Halifax but I was told the policy only covers malignant tumors not benign tumors. Although most insurers cover this illness as standard.
Has someone got any suggestions or info regarding this. Please reply to this thread with any useful information. I would be obliged.
Many Thanks
Regards

Comments

• rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Options
    Legally, the important thing is not your insurance companies view of their contract - but the actual document.
    Do you have a copy of the policy terms?
    Even though they may be correct (for the sake of argument) about that term, that does not mean that there aren't other terms that apply.
  • oldhand
    oldhand Posts: 3,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    As roger said check the wording on your policy,it should list the actual illness you will be covered for.Im not sure if life cover is just that which pays out upon death as opposed to critical illness cover which would pay out if your specific illness was listed.
    When my own illness was diagnosed and the financial adviser who sold me the critical illness policy came to see me as well as discussing my own policy he did mention a policyholder who was refused a claim for critical illness due to a brain tumour being benign as the policy stated it was for amongst other things malignant tumours.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure