PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

November 2013 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• want2Bfrugal
    Options
    Pleased to say that I have kept under my weekly budget - phew

I am now using a budget program for better control. I am tracking every penny so that I can data-mine effectively over time. I find it easier than using my make-shift excel spreadsheet. I hope that this will highlight areas were I cut spending.
    'If you are not in the 'arena' also getting your a55 kicked then, I'm not interested in your feedback.' Thank you.
  • lovefullshelves
    Options
    Aldi - 28.22, there seems to have been alot of chocolate oops:) and a pasta moment in sainsbobs cost me 7.70! There was alphabet shapes dried pasta...alphabetti minestroni!! Just imagine:D Ok, so the child in me took over and said I want. At least they'll be used in cheap homemade soup!
    2013 NSD 100. CC2014CC- £31.50/£135
    2014 NSD 86 so far - May 20/21
    2014 G/C spend £741.55 so far May £107.99/£91
    Debt Free - 30.05.13 Emergency tin - £1000
    June 23 - 9NSD
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    edited 3 November 2013 at 6:37PM
    Options
    A small spend of £2.20 today on milk and some ys cod fillets. I have updated my signature.
    We have been using up or freezer and I am starting to get to a very low level of anything that resembles being able to make a meal from it.
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • Sequeena
    Sequeena Posts: 4,728 Forumite
    Options
    NSD today :)
    Wife and mother :j
    Grocery budget
    April week 1 - £42.78 | week 2 - £53.05
    24lbs in 12 weeks 15/24
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Went to Home Bargains today and got tortilla wraps, garlic and chilli paste, and air freshener .Spent £3.98 /£150:D:D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • gakko1986
    Options
    First post after a couple of days from joining the challenge. Online del from Sains meant I could use a £10 off voucher resulting in a total of £47.72 spend (unfortunately no dishwasher tabs so will be doing washing up by hand till next week). £7.28 spend at Mr M. on baking ingredients (brownies went down well and a half saved in the freezer). £3.99 spend in Lidl on bread and some fish.
    Aiming to have at least 3 NSD's this week and continue to use up cupboard tins and packets (hummus and savoury rice on the menu)
    Nov GC - £68.48 / £120
  • beth2242
    beth2242 Posts: 133 Forumite
    Options
    Just amended my grocery spend - originally didn't include two takeaways we've had since pay day on 25th October, but I didn't want to kid myself and couldn't think of an alternative budget to take it from. It now makes me realise how much of our food budget we spend on takeaways - 13.99 on pizzas one night then 13.00 another night - it certainly will make me think twice next time we consider a takeaway as its cost a total of 26.99 for two evening meals which could have probably bought us a full weeks worth of shopping if I'd have spent it more efficiently!

good luck everyone! I'm determined this month, especially with Christmas and a wedding to think about! :j
    GC- June £0/£150

OD
    £0/£1500 OD £6.23/£900
    Debt paid-£6.23/£2400
  • cocoloco
    cocoloco Posts: 589 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 November 2013 at 8:22PM
    Options
    meg72 wrote: »
    Was absolutely stunned to see woman in front of me pay 10.74 for 6 packs of microwave baked potatoes, 2 in a pack, 400grms,
    that was 89p a potato, and a not very big one at that, total 2400 grams, less than a standard 2.5 killo bag which I can get on our local market for 1.00;[/QUOTE]

I know exactly what you mean- the amount of times I see people spending stupid money on food - they must be oblivious that there are cheaper alternatives out there, incidently these are the same people who spend £200-300 per week on grocery and wonder why have no money. :eek::eek::eek:
    Today only a small spend of £0.48 on 2 packs of reduced Jammy Joes (normally £1/ea).
    :p "NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS FREE FOOD" :p
    'They can have my money but not my life!'
    :eek: Debt & mortgage free in 18 years :eek:
  • Faete
    Faete Posts: 171 Forumite
    Options
    My first NSD :cool:

Cooked a huge vat of chilli made with turkey mince, padded out with loads of mushrooms and peppers - really yummy - fed the two of us tonight and enough for another four portions.

Cracked open a bottle of champagne from the cupboard to mark the end of my week's holiday and the successful clearing of our loft. (28 years of junk skipped!) :beer:

Fae xx
    “Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde :p
    January Grocery Challenge - £189.44/£300.00 :D
    Save
    Save
  • natnat13
    natnat13 Posts: 646 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi
    Can I join this challenge please? Never done it before. Its me and my 2 DS's. They are with their dad 2/3 nights a week which cuts food costs. I am going to set a budget of £180 for the month, I have no idea if this is realistic but we will see. Thanks.
    Mum to 2 DSs, dog mum, wife full-time worker.
    Keen to live a healthly lifestyle and save money
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport