How to fall in love with saving money

Options

Comments

• cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,504 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Re the staff at Britannia, they had a customer satisfaction survey form hanging round so I filled that out with a glowing recommendation. I thought of writing to the branch as well - might do that.
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • cathybird
    Options
    Gallygirl, I'm with you on the chocolate cravings solution :)
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    cathybird wrote: »
    Gallygirl, I'm with you on the chocolate cravings solution :)
    It's so simple yet effective :rotfl:.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • cathybird
    edited 25 October 2013 at 11:15AM
    Options
    gallygirl wrote: »
    It's so simple yet effective :rotfl:.

That's right, and it also frees up valuable cupboard space for other things, so is a highly efficient storage strategy all round :T :D
  • cathybird
    Options
    On the daily to-do list to get closer to my goal today: contact some friends who owe me money (only a small amount but still).
  • cathybird
    Options
    Also, went shopping yesterday and bought groceries for the rest of October and the whole of November. Spent just over £100 so am still within my November budget by about £20. I'm well aware there are shoppers on these threads who could probably undercut my total by quite a sizeable amount ... but it's a start.
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks, Eco Miser. I'll have a look at the links you have provided. I do live within walking distance of a Tesco so could check out when they mark things down.
    Be aware that they reduce several times if neccessary.
    There's seven pages of stores' policies from 2010 here. (Surprised me how long ago that was)
    Do you have a large freezer? I ask because you seem to buy a lot of milk :)
    Not really a lot of milk, a four-pint bottle lasts me over a week. I get 4 pints becase that's only 25p per pint, while 2 pint bottles are 44.5p per pint.

That's another tip BTW, buy the size that's most economical, remembering that over-large containers can lead to waste, as well as usually having a lower unit cost.

My freezer is 69l and is mostly full of cheap bread, no milk. The fridge in the same appliance is 132l and has room for two 4pt bottles in the door.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • cathybird
    Options
    Eco_Miser wrote: »
    There's seven pages of stores' policies from 2010 here. (Surprised me how long ago that was)
    Not really a lot of milk, a four-pint bottle lasts me over a week. I get 4 pints becase that's only 25p per pint, while 2 pint bottles are 44.5p per pint.

That's another tip BTW, buy the size that's most economical, remembering that over-large containers can lead to waste, as well as usually having a lower unit cost.

My freezer is 69l and is mostly full of cheap bread, no milk. The fridge in the same appliance is 132l and has room for two 4pt bottles in the door.

I just don't find milk lasts that long. I freeze it in ice cube trays and store it in airtight containers in the freezer. It's kind of a luxury with me anyway since I really only use it for porridge and can use water instead. I don't store vast quantities of it.

I've got a second freezer in the shed, which I bought originally to deal with gluts from the allotment, but there's no room for it in the kitchen where I live now and I don't really want it hanging round looking out of place in any of the other rooms either. I could run an electricity supply out to the shed but that would cost about £400 and in any case I always found it wasn't very efficient - it was just too much frozen food for one person - stuff would disappear in there and I'd have whole drawers of items so frozen over and old I couldn't even work out what they were. I have a small freezer with the fridge I have now but I can keep easy track of what's in there. Maybe I should sell it on eBay?

Speaking of gluts from the allotment I have a frightening number of apples at the moment and I haven't even brought the whole crop back home yet, just the ones that fell off the trees. The plan is to get out the juicer today. I could freeze some for crumbles in the winter, I guess.
  • cathybird
    Options
    Eco_Miser wrote: »

Thanks for the links, btw. :)
  • cathybird
    Options
    Wow, Tesco's policies sound off-putting :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories