School Uniform assistance

Does anyone know about School Uniform Grants, or whatever they are called now? I think they only apply to secondary school children, and you get a small allowance each year, but I have no idea how much.

This would be based on me and the Rugrat living in London and claiming Income Support.

Thanks for any advice :)

Comments

• The CAB bad news

Example of Hillingdon Uniform Grant Criteria
    Redbridge

It looks like pot luck and that it all depends on your local authority and what is the least they can get away with.

Try putting your local authority and "School Uniform Grant" in a google search bar
    then apply
    then feedback your experience here.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • We have a local charity to which anybody on a low income can apply for grants for school uniform and residential trips.

The maximum grant is £190 for high school children and £50 for primary children. We are allowed to apply every other year.

Try asking the secretary at your childs school. They should be aware of any help that is available.

Good Luck ;)
    Some people see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty - the enlightened are simply grateful to have a glass :)
  • Thanks for your replies. I Googled for the local council and it appears they offer some kind of financial assistance, I suppose I'll find out how much I get if I apply. I'm horrified by the CAB report, I had no idea how little help is available now.

I remember when my son's primary school introduced a uniform, and some of the PTA were concerned about the expense (it's a deprived area). Some of the snootier parents claimed that kids on benefits get free school uniforms! That was not the case when I was at school over 20 years ago, and the provision has got worse since then.
  • From my time on the PTA in the Primary School I used to do the ordering etc of all the uniforms and I think the school had to apply to the council on behalf of the parent so I would speak to the school, same now with school meals.

I do know our local council clamped down on exactly where the money could be spent and that was why the schools got involved. In the old days they got a cheque annually and could spend it in various high street stores but then it didn't actually get spent on school uniform and the store assistants used to get dogs abuse when they refused to allow people to use it for other than kids clothes.
  • filigree_2
    filigree_2 Posts: 1,025 Forumite
    In the old days they got a cheque annually and could spend it in various high street stores but then it didn't actually get spent on school uniform and the store assistants used to get dogs abuse when they refused to allow people to use it for other than kids clothes.

Yep, I remember working in Dolcis and having to explain to people that they really weren't supposed to buy yellow plastic handbags with their kids' uniform vouchers. >:(

My son's primary school PTA organises sales of second hand uniform - polo shirts and sweatshirts - for just £1 per item and hardly anyone buys them. It amazes me that in such a deprived area, parents will pay £12 for a sweatshirt that will only fit for a year, when they could get one for a measly quid!

For years now I've operated a "one in, one out" system of upgrading my son's uniform. He doesn't care and no-one else can tell. When he leaves I'll donate his uniform to the PTA in the hopes that someone will benefit.

Once he starts high school I'll make enquiries about second hand uniform sales, I might get lucky.
  • kabie
    kabie Posts: 537 Forumite
    In my area it's a cheque which in theory could be spent on anything as you pay it into a bank account. It's the council that administer it not the schools and the forms can be collected from the local "help point". There is a deadline for claiming though: if you don't claim in time you only get a proportion of the money and if you leave it too late you get nowt.
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    I was wondering about this too.

Fortunatly my daughter is only in nursery and can get away with her own clothes to some extent but she still has a "uniform". The school wanted to charge £8 PER ITEM for the nursery uniform which has "****** *** school Nursery department" with a picture as a logo on everything. That would be £24 just for the uniform, then theres knickers, vests, socks, trainers, "spares", pumps for PE, kit bag to keep "spare" clothes and pumps in, new coat for the winter.....

I think taking my route I managed to dress my daughter (with a little help from my parents with the coat /trainers/kit bag - not expensive by any means but bought as gifts for daughter anyway) for about £30 in total so far. Mind you I haven't had to buy underwear yet - she still fits in the stuff I bought her last winter but is fast growing out of that - thank goodness for Ebay ;)
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • filigree_2
    filigree_2 Posts: 1,025 Forumite
    Nicki - now would be a good time to approach the PTA and get involved. We sell off lost property at £1 a piece to raise funds. Parents whose children leave the school chuck the unwanted uniforms in the lost property bin and they get sold on too. Unfortunately only a few parents buy the stuff, they must all have money to burn :o
  • I would recommend contacting your local Police force and asking if they do, what we have here. The scheme is the 'Police Aided Clothing Scheme' and it gives children (up to secondary school leaving age) a pair of brand name shoes, a brand new good pair of trousers and a good brand name winter jacket. The whole process is very friendly and prompt and hopefully may assist you.

Learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.
  • rushnowt
    rushnowt Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    I would recommend contacting your local Police force and asking if they do, what we have here.  The scheme is the 'Police Aided Clothing Scheme' and it gives children (up to secondary school leaving age) a pair of brand name shoes, a  brand new good pair of trousers and a good brand name winter jacket.  The whole process is very friendly and prompt and hopefully may assist you.

That sounds a fantastic scheme, it's such a shame that other areas don't offer or at least advertise this if they do. ???

filigree, I would think if you gave your local council a ring and asked for the school uniform grants section, if they have one they could put you through easily and give you all the info etc on how to claim. It's right what has been said about availablity in different areas. we have recently moved and the previous area had no such grants available, however the new area does and also provides free milk to all the kids up to Y2 primary.

Although, it was only by sheer luck that i found out that in my previous area, that the high school my eldest attended they had a fund available to provide money for uniforms etc that parents couldn't afford, and you could borrow the amount you needed and pay it back weekly at an amount you can afford, they issue you with a payment card etc, just like having a catalogue account. I guess they have a round about idea of the sums needed for stuff, i was loaned £30 to purchase a new pair of shoes for her and had to pay it back at £1 a week, but you can pay off more at a time if you wanted. I'm not sure if other schools offer this, but it might be worth inquiring. ;)

Good luck x
    Nobody can make you feel inferior, without your permission ;)

Love doesn't make the world go round, it's what makes the ride worthwhile

ya still freezing :p

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family