Period before being "at risk" again?

Options
Does anyone know if there's a minimum statutory period before staff can be placed "at risk" for a second time?

A group were placed "at risk" less than a year ago, but during collective consultation made a case and were taken off the "at risk" status and kept their jobs. But now they've all been placed "at risk" again, so I'm wondering if there are any provisions to stop this happening within a specific timescale.

Although the employees in question are just a small sub-set of the total, in both episodes over 100 employees are "at risk," so the collective consultantion period last time was 90 days and is now 45 days.

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    no new reasons can happen at any time.
  • The_Old_Bag
    The_Old_Bag Posts: 4,706 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Does anyone know if there's a minimum statutory period before staff can be placed "at risk" for a second time?

A group were placed "at risk" less than a year ago, but during collective consultation made a case and were taken off the "at risk" status and kept their jobs. But now they've all been placed "at risk" again, so I'm wondering if there are any provisions to stop this happening within a specific timescale.

It might well be that these were the staff that management wanted to get rid of.....
    They escaped last time because they managed to fight their corner and escape being at risk......
    So now management are having another go, presumably with a more robust/specific case which this group will not be able to argue their way out of...
    At the end of they day, if employer wants rid of you, they will find a way by hook or by crook...

Friend works for local council and went through a MAJOR upheaval last year due to cut backs. He had to go through hell and back for months and months to keep his job.Matrix, interviews, application forms, more interviews etc...
    Had to move base, change hours etc.... but kept a job of sorts.

He has just heard they have to go through it all again, as council needs to make several million £ more cuts.
    He is seriously considering just throwing in the towel as the last one was so stressful.
    Even if he survived this next one, there is bound to be even more "culls" as I cannot see Public Spending being anything but cut, cut, cut for the foreseeable future.
  • Dirk_Gently_2
    Options
    no new reasons can happen at any time.

Thanks. Didn't think there would be but never hurts to ask.
  • Dirk_Gently_2
    Options
    It might well be that these were the staff that management wanted to get rid of.....
    They escaped last time because they managed to fight their corner and escape being at risk......
    So now management are having another go, presumably with a more robust/specific case which this group will not be able to argue their way out of...
    At the end of they day, if employer wants rid of you, they will find a way by hook or by crook...

Friend works for local council and went through a MAJOR upheaval last year due to cut backs. He had to go through hell and back for months and months to keep his job.Matrix, interviews, application forms, more interviews etc...
    Had to move base, change hours etc.... but kept a job of sorts.

He has just heard they have to go through it all again, as council needs to make several million £ more cuts.
    He is seriously considering just throwing in the towel as the last one was so stressful.
    Even if he survived this next one, there is bound to be even more "culls" as I cannot see Public Spending being anything but cut, cut, cut for the foreseeable future.

In fact, I was the employee rep. The group was about 12 out of over 100 deemed "at risk", and with the group I managed to find a flaw in the company's business case so this group was taken off "at risk" status.

Now, 9 months down the line, we're all "at risk " again. But I think everyone's had enough, and the aim will be to get the best terms and conditions out of the redundancy rather than try to fight to save jobs.

The company is dying,so it just seems that if you manage to dodge out of the way of one double-decker bus, there's another one coming down the road right behind it.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    at risk is a made up state.

everyone is always at risk.

the trick is make sure you are not the last out when the money has run out.

even if you can make a case often best to let it run get the cash and then make the case to come back on contract

with a group this can be setting up a company to take over when they go down
  • Dirk_Gently_2
    Options
    at risk is a made up state.

everyone is always at risk.

the trick is make sure you are not the last out when the money has run out.

even if you can make a case often best to let it run get the cash and then make the case to come back on contract

with a group this can be setting up a company to take over when they go down

Of course everyone is always at risk - but official "at risk" status during collective consultation does definitely ascribe a specific status onto staff, legally.

Nothing else posted applies in this circumstance - staff being made redundant will all be offered an uplift of cash in return for signing a legally-binding compromise agreement which includes confidentiality provisions.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure