MSE News: Rogue letting agents face Government crackdown

"Letting and property management agents will be forced to join a redress scheme and sign up to a tenants' charter..."
Read the full story:

Rogue letting agents face Government crackdown

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• AnnabeeAnnabee Forumite
    634 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Good news. And about time too!
  • PincherPincher
    6.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Protect the tenants? What about the landlord!

One case, I negotiated for the letting agent to handle the deposit, because having an independent third party is mostly why I use an agent for, so everything is above board and recorded, none of that who said what business.

The tenants left things in a mess, and the agent just says I didn't pay for management, so tough, they don't want to lift a finger, when the deposit is with the DPS in their name!
  • ValHallerValHaller Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pincher wrote: »
    I negotiated for the letting agent to handle the deposit, because having an independent third party is mostly why I use an agent for
    As far as the tenants are concerned, an agent is not independent.
    You might as well ask the Wizard of Oz to give you a big number as pay a Credit Referencing Agency for a so-called 'credit-score'
  • thelemthelem Forumite
    774 Posts
    Pincher wrote: »
    Protect the tenants? What about the landlord!

Landlords are free to shop around. Tenants get whatever letting agent the landlord has chosen. They are also usually wealthier and therefore can more easily cope with any financial losses (a few hundred pounds should be an inconvenience for a landlord, but it could mean a tenant can't afford to feed themselves properly).

That's not to say letting agents should be allowed to scam landlords, but tenants should be the priority.
    Note: Unless otherwise stated, my property related posts refer to England & Wales. Please make sure you state if you are discussing Scotland or elsewhere as laws differ.
  • MurphybearMurphybear Forumite
    6.4K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Letting agents act for the landlord, not the tenant.
  • dimbo61dimbo61 Forumite
    12.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heard it all before and I am sure as soon as any new rules come out clever people will be looking for ways around it.
  • UlfarUlfar Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    How about following Scotland's example and making fees illegal. That would be a huge first step.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

NS&I to change Premium Bond prize rate

It will rise to 1.40% from June

MSE News

Compers of the MSE Forum:

Show us the prizes you've won recently

Join the MSE Forum discussion