PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Rogue letting agents face Government crackdown

"Letting and property management agents will be forced to join a redress scheme and sign up to a tenants' charter..."
Read the full story:

Rogue letting agents face Government crackdown

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• Annabee
    Annabee Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Good news. And about time too!
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Protect the tenants? What about the landlord!

One case, I negotiated for the letting agent to handle the deposit, because having an independent third party is mostly why I use an agent for, so everything is above board and recorded, none of that who said what business.

The tenants left things in a mess, and the agent just says I didn't pay for management, so tough, they don't want to lift a finger, when the deposit is with the DPS in their name!
  • ValHaller
    ValHaller Posts: 5,212 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Pincher wrote: »
    I negotiated for the letting agent to handle the deposit, because having an independent third party is mostly why I use an agent for
    As far as the tenants are concerned, an agent is not independent.
    You might as well ask the Wizard of Oz to give you a big number as pay a Credit Referencing Agency for a so-called 'credit-score'
  • thelem
    thelem Posts: 774 Forumite
    Pincher wrote: »
    Protect the tenants? What about the landlord!

Landlords are free to shop around. Tenants get whatever letting agent the landlord has chosen. They are also usually wealthier and therefore can more easily cope with any financial losses (a few hundred pounds should be an inconvenience for a landlord, but it could mean a tenant can't afford to feed themselves properly).

That's not to say letting agents should be allowed to scam landlords, but tenants should be the priority.
    Note: Unless otherwise stated, my property related posts refer to England & Wales. Please make sure you state if you are discussing Scotland or elsewhere as laws differ.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,270 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Letting agents act for the landlord, not the tenant.
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Heard it all before and I am sure as soon as any new rules come out clever people will be looking for ways around it.
  • Ulfar
    Ulfar Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    How about following Scotland's example and making fees illegal. That would be a huge first step.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure