We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Squirrel problem

Options
tripleh_2
tripleh_2 Posts: 195 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
We have a squirrel or two that are digging my back garden up. I don't want to use a trap and kill them so does anyone know a good electronic deterrent? I suppose one that would also keep a neighbours cats away from my bird table would be good. Anyone?

Comments

• Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello tripleh

As this is a gardening subject, I'll move your thread to the 'Greenfingered' board.

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email abuse@moneysavingexpert.com.

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • beer2006
    beer2006 Posts: 1,987 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As a squirrel is basically a rat with a pretty tail as far I am aware, then any of the electronic rat deterrents should work. IF they work is something else :D

Tbh....... get rid of them, its the only real way to deal with them.
    “Pleasure of love lasts but a moment, pain of love lasts a lifetime.”
  • tripleh_2
    Options
    beer2006 wrote: »
    As a squirrel is basically a rat with a pretty tail as far I am aware, then any of the electronic rat deterrents should work. IF they work is something else :D

Tbh....... get rid of them, its the only real way to deal with them.

Problem is we back onto a screened golf course (screened with trees) so if one is got rid of it will be replaced. We do have a trap which we tried 2 years ago and I was taking them into the local park to release...until I found out that that is illegal and that if I catch one I have to kill it
  • beer2006
    beer2006 Posts: 1,987 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think you have answered you own question then, trap and air rifle, keep doing it, the ones that survive will probably evolve from animals that learn not to come into your garden. :D
    I would probably not advertise you are doing it though, some people can get upset about it :rolleyes:
    “Pleasure of love lasts but a moment, pain of love lasts a lifetime.”
  • Solomon_Broad
    Options
    Are they greys or reds?

So far as I'm aware, grey squirrels are classed as vermin, and you can kill them without a problem, while the reds are a protected species.

WRT the the electric thing, is an electric fence an option? It depends I suppose on where they are getting into your garden.
  • ben500
    ben500 Posts: 23,192 Forumite
    Options
    The easiest method would be to feed them, they will take some of the food to store and bury it AWAY from the food source, this is probably what they are doing in your garden, if you turn it into a food source they should stop their digging.
    You can do this at little or no expense, you can gather acorns and hazels locally and distribute them throughout the year, you should see results within days of introducing the storable food.
    Four guns yet only one trigger prepare for a volley.

Together we can make a difference.
  • tripleh_2
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. Not that its a competition but so far I favour Ben500's idea. Now where can I get acorns locally?
  • Solomon_Broad
    Options
    Oak trees? :rotfl:

Seriously though, you wont get them until autumn. Try peanuts instead?
  • ellybelly89
    ellybelly89 Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    we have a family of squirrels living in our roof!! (we don't have access to it as its sealed.

Any way we put a squirrel cage out with nuts in and we catch a squirrel a day and let them go in the country park down the road.
  • ben500
    ben500 Posts: 23,192 Forumite
    Options
    we have a family of squirrels living in our roof!! (we don't have access to it as its sealed.

Any way we put a squirrel cage out with nuts in and we catch a squirrel a day and let them go in the country park down the road.

Unfortunately this method is not an option for the op as they have a squirrel factory next door. Once populated it is difficult to discourage squirrels from returning to a loft and causing damage to get back into their "home" another option is one I used for my MIL but unfortunately without access you would not be able to apply, I simply secured the area around the entry point with a wooden "run" this confined the squirrels to that area that was boxed off, they have never made any attempt to venture into the main loft area (four and a half years now) since, they are content with their comfortable 2' x 2' home. The boxed area is of little inconvenience to her and she is pleased that she has been able to come to a compromise with her neighbours without causing them distress or harm, thankfully they have not brought any of their friends back to show them their delightful accomodation.

All too often as humans our first reaction when we encounter an animal that shares our environment is to kill it. There are many ways to disuade or accomodate animals rather than destroying them merely because they wish to share our living space, most often they were there before us anyway.

Right now I am sitting at my pc listening to a blackbird sing in the tree outside my window. He sits there three times a day just to cheer me up, why? because I provide him with food which in turn makes him healthy and a good prospect for any hen in the area, he sings for his supper so to speak, if he didn't have a ready supply of food he would sing elsewhere.

He sings to get his leg over really but I like to flatter myself sometimes.
    Four guns yet only one trigger prepare for a volley.

Together we can make a difference.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport