'Teaching BA an expensive lesson!...' blog discussion

Options
2»

Comments

• smala01
    smala01 Posts: 154 Forumite
    Options
    BA may not be the best airline but at least they dont leave their passengers out of pocket.

Take Easyjet or Ryanair for example - they would certainly not pay for your Cab home, nor would they compensate you for a cancelled flight.
  • purplepatch
    purplepatch Posts: 2,534 Forumite
    Options
    Bloody BA lost my baby's car seat. I deliberately don't book infant carseats through the car hire people as they are usually ancient death-traps, twisted straps, don't fit the car properly etc. So we lugged a carseat and a booster from the uk which was no mean feat along with all the usual baby paraphernalia - they wouldn't let us check the booster seat so had to take as hand luggage! Which was probably fortunate as hey presto, upon arrival in Marseille, no infant carseat had arrived. Had to join the 12 strong queue of irate passengers from our flight who also had delayed baggage, to be dealt with by the most miserable looking french woman you've ever come across having had to wait the best part of an hour with two little ones.

Carseat was delivered to us free of charge a couple of days later but I had to rent one from Europcar in the meantime at a cost of twenty quid. Fortunately it was a lovely brand new one, so my baby was safe at least during our onward journey from Marseille airport.

I've put in a claim for the £20 and they are already making noises about it may be better for us to claim on our insurance. I'd also like to claim compensation for the inconvenience and delay to our journey, transporting 2 young children with a delay of over an hour (it was already a very long day for them) was not much fun. Don't suppose I'll get anywhere with that, but I will be very annoyed if at the very least, they don't reimburse the cost of having to rent the item that they lost...

BA...stards...:p Good on you Martin. Make them pay.
  • Lindsay-Lou
    Options
    We booked a round the world ticket with BA a couple of years back and they managed to book us on a connecting flight in LAX which we couldn't possibly make - when we were in Sydney the Quantas people told us its in a rule book somewhere that you CANNOT book an onward flight in LA airport where there is less than 2 hours between arrival of the first and departure of the second and BA had booked us on one 1hr 55mins difference - not much you'd say, but the Quantas girly insisted on changing our flights. And yes, you guessed it, there's only one flight a day to where we were going. (as it turned out it took us 3 hours to get through security:eek: )

I saved my irritation for the BA desk in LAX (we waited 2 hours for it too open in the first place). Now I'm not normally a pushy or forward person, I'll always let my OH do any bargaining/complaining/general chancing his arm but i had a bee in my bonnet that day and took great pleasure in bending the ear of firstly both the BA rep and his boss. They both suggested we should write to their offices in London or New York to complain. I eventually convinced them that we needed compensation now and got vouchers for room and board in an airport hotel for the night! :T

Oh boy we ate ourselves silly just for the sake of spending as much of their money as possible :rotfl:

always complain and always complain loudly:D
  • golddustmedia
    Options
    Well done, but I hope it actually DOES work out.

I had similar on a flight into Exeter from Glasgow on a Sunday. 1 hour flight arrived 2 hours late!

However this meant there were no more public transport connections for the day. I went to the desk and complained and was told where to write to and advised to get a cab home and claim it's cost.

I did so and recieved a letter back stating it was not policy to pay customer taxi fares and I had been missinformed. SO I replied and was rather insistent, taking the opportunity to note the other problems on the journey (my wife was pregnant and the only inflight sandwiches were prawn, as you may know you shouldn't eat shellfish when pregnant), I noted that had it been the case I was Jewish and it was Ham sandwich it would be a case of not catering for a mainstream religion so surely a widely applicable medical case was just as valid etc etc.

Eventually they caved in and paid for the taxi fare but were not happy about it.

Good luck with BA, I hope they cough up!
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,285 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    m_i wrote: »
    I flew to Dubai on Thursday - i checked in the night before and got the emergency exit seat.

Once all the passengers had boarded the 9.40pm flight - an announcement is made on the tannoy that the plane cannot fly because it did not pass all its checks - the reason was that the plane was struck by lightning twice on its way from Bombay to London.

We were asked to disembark while BA proceeded to bring another plane for us to use.

No apology was given.

We were then sent to another gate. We waited 3 hours to board the new plane - an apology was forthcoming because several people complained.

The new plane was a different type of plane so i did not get the extra legroom of an emergency exit seat - again no apology.

We were then told that we might not be able to fly because of the late hour because the last flight had already gone and there are noise pollution rules that BA need to follow.

Five minutes later we took off - i guess it was cheaper for BA to pay a fine then pay for taxis home.

I don't think i will be flying BA again - except for the free flight i have already booked on Airmiles.

I must admit though that flying Virgin is not much better.

m_i

In this case, I have some sympathy with the airline.

Presumably you did not expect them to take off in a 'plane that was unsafe. OK, they would have known before then about the lightning strike, but probably only had a limited amount of time in which to get passengers on board, and carried out safety tests and damage assessment while you were boarding. Once they decided that it would not be safe to continue the journey, they were obviously in a crisis situation. Yes, it would have been nice if the person telling you to disembark had apologised, but presumably s/he was focused on letting you know what was going on and finding a solution.

They really should have served refreshments during the three hour wait. I do not, however, think you can blame them for not having an aeroplane sitting there on stand-by, and it does not surprise me that it took them that long to organise another one. And pity that it was a different model than the one they had originally planned to use. In that situation it is not surprising that seat assignments go: they obviously had enough trouble getting people on to the 'plane before the cut-off time for departures.

I think they should have offered some free drinks to make up for a depressing experience, but at least they got you safely to where you were going. And given that kind of starting situation, I doubt whether any other airline could have done much better.
  • jjstar
    jjstar Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    I agree that Martin's original blog about waiting so long to get luggage is ridiculous and people should complain to try and improve this. However, Voyager2002 is completely correct about the flight to Dubai. You must remember that you are on an aircraft and surely safety is the most important thing. Have you ever been in a crash or an emergency? Safety's got to come first. And airlines don't have aircraft hanging around spare, it was great that they could put you on another aircraft so soon - I'm sure the delay was annoying, but look at the bigger picture, they must err on the side of caution and put you on a safe plane. Surely that was getting your money's worth!
  • m_i
    m_i Posts: 199 Forumite
    Options
    Hello again

I thought i would update you on my BA flight back o London:
    Flight delayed by 40 minutes - not told until we go through to the BA departure gate - not allowed to take in hot drinks. Then someone special comes through with a hot drink.

Hot food - 4 pieces of ravioli with a mystery filling covered in a tiny amount of sauce, a piece of courgette and two unidentifiable vegetables. On the way to Dubai i asked for Chicken - was given Chicken Tangine - tasted awful and filled with dry chicken and very large pieces of dried Apricot.

During a period of turbulance the passengers were shouted at for leaving their seats - this has not happenned before - usually we are left at our own dscretion if we need to use the loo while the fasten seatbelt sign is on during the middle of the flight and the turbulace was very minor in this case.

Once we landed late (as per uual with BA)my sisters phone rang - was our taxi driver. The steward named Simon on flight BA108 which landed this afternoon shouted at her for answering he phone. That was just rude.

Had to get a bus to the terminal - remember this is terminal 4 which is served by BA and we had to get a bus. I expect that in Africa but not London.

Got through customs by 2.30pm and waited until 4pm for our luggage because BA had a problem with the baggage handlers.

Finally got home at 5.30pm and had to pay the driver extra for the additional 2 hour wait.

Thanks for your comments Voyager but if a plane is hit by lightning i am sure that the pilot would notice. And getting hit twice is a bit hard to ignore and most people would assume that the plane was unsafe to fly without a thorough going over. What it proves is that BA are cheap. Yes another airline would not have done the same because they don't have spare planes hanging around in their own hanger at their own terminal.

Yes i am lucky that BA still serve hot food and i got my luggage and they bought me home but it was the manner in which they did it that i am not happy with. And no paying customer deserves to be shouted at for wanting to use the loo and especiallynot in public.

m_i
    Nice to save.
  • Scarlett1
    Scarlett1 Posts: 6,887 Forumite
    Options
    Martin I flew into Heathrow on the 15th around 9 and if I would have known you were landing soon after I would have hanged around for you :D, my flight was delayed for an hour cause of the traffice over europe :o, fortunately wasnt long in the baggage lounge as 10 minutes after getting off the flight I collected the cases, flew with CSA :)
  • perigee
    perigee Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    About 2 years ago, my luggage was delayed coming off the plane. I had a meeting to get to so the airline (sorry can't remember who it was) delivered it to me at home later that day. I was told that they had to do this if the delay was over a certain period. No idea whether this works/still applies
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure