NOW OPEN: the MSE Forum 'Ask An Expert' event. This time we'd like your questions on TRAVEL & HOLIDAY DEALS. Post by Wed and deals expert MSE Oli will answer as many as he can.

'Teaching BA an expensive lesson!...' blog discussion

This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's 'Teaching BA an expensive lesson! Consumers shouldn't be treated this way.' blog. Please read the blog first, as the discussion follows it.

Replies

• HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    So, BA has a 'reimburse' policy does it?

Reimburse what though? Actual costs (£60 taxi fare plus postage)?

Or the real cost - £60 taxi fare plus postage, plus 'sorry for the inconvenience goodwill payment, plus recompense for the time filling in their complaint form?

I think I can guess.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • hollydayshollydays Forumite
    19.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Found myself in a situation with BMI once.At a UK hotel we had been placed in and the Police had to be called because the crowd were deemed to be getting angry,(by the plain clothes BMI person in the crowd not there to help just to protect its snooty staff should we revolt) they WERE angry ,simply because no one was informing us what was HAPPENING- a 24 hour long haul cancellation due to a technical fault.SO right what you say about Customer Service.I tried to get this compensation-its easier said that done,trust me,as many others have found.

Would be really nice if the item by Martin on getting compo back from airlines was updated ie that its virtually impossible to get airlines to abide by it,last question i posted in March asking if anyone had actually got compensation-no replies as yet-what does that tell you.Eu laws are not working. I contacted BMI who told me they had never heard of the Eu regulation-unlikely wouldnt you think?Airline rage rant over.
  • Tip; Keep your video camera in your hand luggage, then when you have problems along the way ,film it and inform the unhelpful numpty behind whatever desk that you are sending this to BBC s Watchdog programme... No-one likes bad publicity. Its a shame that your crews camera gear was in the delay you could have a whole new programme on airport aggrevations.
    Mind you when a pal of mine was in the queue for lost or delayed baggage he did the same as you and informed others behind him that was little hope of getting it back that evening and was promptly arrested , as the police took him away he asked what the charges were and as they could not answer he calmly walked away !! ok he also told them where to go ** }
    Maybe BA actually stands for Baggage Auctioneers..
  • cashflowcashflow Forumite
    65 Posts
    Tip; Keep your video camera in your hand luggage, then when you have problems along the way ,film it and inform the unhelpful numpty behind whatever desk that you are sending this to BBC s Watchdog programme... No-one likes bad publicity. Its a shame that your crews camera gear was in the delay you could have a whole new programme on airport aggrevations.
    Mind you when a pal of mine was in the queue for lost or delayed baggage he did the same as you and informed others behind him that was little hope of getting it back that evening and was promptly arrested , as the police took him away he asked what the charges were and as they could not answer he calmly walked away !! ok he also told them where to go ** }
    Maybe BA actually stands for Baggage Auctioneers..
    ========================================================
    BA is known amongst some of the aviation fraternity as 'Big Airways'!

Well done, Martin.
  • diamondsdiamonds Forumite
    6K Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    im frequently the announcer like Martin when im on a companies recieving end, good on him !
    SO... now England its the Scots turn to say dont leave the UK, stay in Europe with us in the UK, dont let the tories fool you like they did us with empty lies... You will be leaving the UK aswell as Europe ;)
  • I actually once had BA arrange for a taxi home as they'd cancelled the earlier flight I was meant to be on, and it would have been difficult for me to get home. The taxi was waiting for me when I arrived at the airport, and drove me 60 miles home. The only reason I got it was because I insisted they do something (!) at the airport I was flying from. I wasn't the only person who was booked on the cancelled flight, but I was the only one with a taxi home.
    The IVF worked;DS born 2006.
  • diesel77diesel77 Forumite
    7 Posts
    Hi martin,
    Thanks for all your fabulous advice! I am a member of BA crew, can I just say that your blog doesn't surprise me in the least, every time I go to work there is just problem after problem, !!!! up after !!!! up and nothing EVER changes. They treat employees and customers alike with utter contempt.My advice is never fly BA, I NEVER do and I work for them, your journey will never be seamless. Try easyjet when you can, nine times out of ten they leave and land on time and your baggage miraculously APPEARS after a flight!!
    bes regards to you and good luck with your travels in the future!
  • bylromarhabylromarha Forumite
    10.1K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Working at 11.45pm Martin?! Tsk Tsk!!!

Did you get any questions about bank charging or credit cards after people sussed you? No forum members coming over to say hi?
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • m_im_i Forumite
    199 Posts
    Forumite
    I flew to Dubai on Thursday - i checked in the night before and got the emergency exit seat.

Once all the passengers had boarded the 9.40pm flight - an announcement is made on the tannoy that the plane cannot fly because it did not pass all its checks - the reason was that the plane was struck by lightning twice on its way from Bombay to London.

We were asked to disembark while BA proceeded to bring another plane for us to use.

No apology was given.

We were then sent to another gate. We waited 3 hours to board the new plane - an apology was forthcoming because several people complained.

The new plane was a different type of plane so i did not get the extra legroom of an emergency exit seat - again no apology.

We were then told that we might not be able to fly because of the late hour because the last flight had already gone and there are noise pollution rules that BA need to follow.

Five minutes later we took off - i guess it was cheaper for BA to pay a fine then pay for taxis home.

I don't think i will be flying BA again - except for the free flight i have already booked on Airmiles.

I must admit though that flying Virgin is not much better.

m_i
    Nice to save.
  • jmfwiltsjmfwilts Forumite
    28 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The last three times I have flown with BA and landed at T1 Heathrow, I had to wait over an hour from the time my plane has touched down to getting my bags. I hope that when T5 opens they can sort this mess out. Where possible I try and fly from Bristol or Southampton as the wait for baggage is not normally that long.
    On a slightly different subject I have noticed at Heathrow Passport control the queue for non EU passport holders is often much less than for EU holders, and therefore e.g a US citizen could proceed through immigration quicker than a UK citizen! I've often wondered what would happen if I joined the non EU queue with a UK passport!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy Price Cap change

Martin Lewis on what it means for you

MSE News

Best £1 you've ever spent?

Share your most impressive bargains

MSE Forum