We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Getting your paws on your OHs pension/retirement plan after divorce

Options

Comments

• doughnutmachine
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Maybe the partners who 'choose' to work less and earn less make up for that 'shortfall' by doing more in the house - such as cooking, cleaning, decorating, looking after the children etc.

I can't see any reason why contributions such as those I mention above should be se seen as less important financially than the income that the main earner brings in.

And, imho, things should be split 50/50 in a marriage.

I guess the posters who don't agree with that or don't split things 50/50 are the people who would begrudge sharing their pension and inheritance with their partners.

sorry, but I don't think looking after a house/ kids is the same amount of work as doing a full time job. i'll admit that when kids are young they take a lot of looking after, but as soon as they start school they are out of the house most of the day. And how much housework do people actually have to do a day? maybe two hours?

if one partner does more work during the marriage I think they should get more of the assets if they divorce. of course if one partner gives up a lucrative career to look after the family that should be considered when splitting the assets.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,731 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    lvader wrote: »
    Some partners choose to work / earn less and have less disposable income during marrage. Not every couple has fully joined bank accounts. It seems stange to split things 50 - 50 after a divorce when they weren't 50 - 50 while married.

In my experience, the 'partners' mentioned above tend to be of the unmarried variety.

And the partner doesn't always "Choose" to be the one who stays at home. In some cases, it makes financial sense to keep the highest earning in work, and the lower be the one who stays.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    It's a bit too easy for one partner to get lazy, not contribute financially or by other means, contruct a divorce and then demand 50% of everything when they may have done little to deserve it.

Wow! Just Wow!
    What a generalisation!
    The other strange anomaly is that you can split a pension in a divorce but not in marrage so it can become financially better to get a divorce even if happly married.

But if a couple split everything 50/50, there's no reason to 'split' any pension within a marriage.

What a bizarre way of looking at things.

I bet you're very much a 'what's mine is mine' kind of person.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    sorry, but I don't think looking after a house/ kids is the same amount of work as doing a full time job. i'll admit that when kids are young they take a lot of looking after, but as soon as they start school they are out of the house most of the day. And how much housework do people actually have to do a day? maybe two hours?

I'm sure many stay-at-home Mums/Dads would take great exception to your view.
    I don't have any kids but I've seen enough of my friends' hard work to realise that me working full-time was often a walk in the park compared to what they do/did.

It's not just housework. :wall:
    if one partner does more work during the marriage I think they should get more of the assets if they divorce. of course if one partner gives up a lucrative career to look after the family that should be considered when splitting the assets.

And you also have a 'what's mine is mine' attitude.

I'm just glad I'm not your partner or the partner of Ivader - you sound like real catches. :rotfl:

Talk about being entrenched in the Dark Ages.
  • lvader
    lvader Posts: 2,579 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 October 2013 at 1:49PM
    Options
    Wow! Just Wow!
    What a generalisation!

But if a couple split everything 50/50, there's no reason to 'split' any pension within a marriage.

What a bizarre way of looking at things.

I bet you're very much a 'what's mine is mine' kind of person.

My point was that I wasn't generalising, the law doesn't look at individual circumstances. Not everyone is the same and enither are marrages.

The reason to split a pension during a marrage is that you can save a lot of tax, but the law doesn't allow that so it can make sense to divorce.
  • angelsmomma
    angelsmomma Posts: 1,192 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't have any kids but I've seen enough of my friends' hard work to realise that me working full-time was often a walk in the park compared to what they do/did.

It's not just housework. :wall:

And you also have a 'what's mine is mine' attitude.

I'm just glad I'm not your partner or the partner of Ivader - you sound like real catches. :rotfl:

Talk about being entrenched in the Dark Ages.

Wish I could thank that twice.
    Life is not the way it’s supposed to be. It’s the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.
  • doughnutmachine
    Options

ehhhhmmm if being a stay at home parent is such hard work why do au pairs etc work for a pittance?

like it or not most full time jobs are harder work than sending the kids off to school, then doing a bit of housework then having a coffee morning with all the other full time mums.
  • lvader
    lvader Posts: 2,579 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

I've been happily married for 17 years, both of us work and contribute. I wouldn't presume it to be the same with all marrages which might be a reason for high divorce rates.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There are arguments both or all ways but the main problem is often in the initial choice of husband or wife for the relevant partner, it often amazes me to whom people get hitched but it's a free country, and it's many financial decisions people take little time to think this over. I'm not saying marriage is a financial decision, even with the givernements £200 a year promotion, but it's a consideration, but it's something everyone should consider before takinga. Loan out for the marriage , as we see on the loans board!
  • doughnutmachine
    Options
    if I had a business partner that done less work than me I wouldn't think it fair to split the business profits 50/50....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport