Standby Buttons on Household appliances

Options

Comments

• more_money_for_me
    Options
    Well respected or not, are his views are really relevant on this discussion?

I guess they are as relevant as anybody else on here or quoted on here.

The facts are quite simple. Standby consumption is tiny - pence per year on TVs. Armed with accurate information, as opposed to misinformation, it is simply a personal decision if people want to use that facility or not.

The "facts" seem to vary depending on who you speak to. So who do I believe? Government figures, an environmental "expert", some poster on an internet forum or some bloke down the pub?

Al Gore is perhaps the most widely ‘respected’(loudest?) of those making a living from spreading the Green [STRIKE]hysteria[/STRIKE] message, yet he feels it appropriate to have a large heated swimming pool, a huge electricity bill for one of his many properties, and use private jets.[/QUOTE]

Agree
  • stebiz
    stebiz Posts: 6,590 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thats fair enough, but what I haven't seen on this thread is any better suggestions for how we might improve things.

Just ban them like the govt. are planning to do. There are no need for them. It will save lives, save electricity. Good riddance.

Stebiz
    Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies
  • dounome
    dounome Posts: 355 Forumite
    Options
    moonrakerz wrote: »
    Hogwash !

Just another case of over-nannying ! How many of these "safety checkers" have any electrical qualifications ?

Not here to be abused by anyone, never claimed to be an electrician or expert "safety checker" just telling you what we "advise" people and telling you from experience as a firefighter what actually happened to an unattended tv left on standby (see previous posts)
  • dounome
    Options
    Hogwash !

Just another case of over-nannying ! How many of these "safety checkers" have any electrical qualifications ?

This is from the dti.gov.uk website

Timing and location of TV fire incidents
    • TV fires occur most frequently in December (11%) and January (14%), but are spread across
    the year; May (5%) and February (6%) are the lowest. February would not be expected to
    be the second lowest month but there is insufficient data to explain why this was the case.
    • Most TV fires occur in the evening (35%), followed by afternoon (24%), night (22%) and with
    morning not far behind at 19%. Evening is peak viewing.
    The result for fires at night is higher than might be expected if viewing is a factor. However,
    the use of stand-by mode or TVs left 'on' while the occupiers fall asleep could be responsible.

Their views not mine.
  • stebiz
    stebiz Posts: 6,590 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    dounome wrote: »
    Not here to be abused by anyone, never claimed to be an electrician or expert "safety checker" just telling you what we "advise" people and telling you from experience as a firefighter what actually happened to an unattended tv left on standby (see previous posts)

I just hope that at least 'some' have listened to what you said. It might just have saved someones life - as for those who disagree. In life you make your choices................:rolleyes:

Stebiz
    Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies
  • tr3mor
    tr3mor Posts: 2,325 Forumite
    Options
    the use of stand-by mode or TVs left 'on' while the occupiers fall asleep could be responsible.

I really hate documents from public bodies containing mere speculation.
  • dounome
    Options
    tr3mor wrote: »
    I really hate documents from public bodies containing mere speculation.

so the fact i actually attended a fire due to the tv set which was left on standby is mere speculation.
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

I am not abusing anyone. I just find it difficult to understand how a non qualified person can dictate that a TV on Standby is a fire hazard ! I wouldn't dream of telling a firefighter how to tackle a blaze, so as a qualified electrical engineer it rankles me to see such drivel being spread around as the gospel truth ! Especially when you quote ONE single incident as the cause of this sudden threat to the whole of television watching humanity. A man was unfortunately killed flying a powered paraglider last week,the first instance of this, do we immediately tell everyone not to do this exciting sport? On your logic we do.

Actually, let's have a look at this wonderful Government website that has been quoted. Sorry, but most of it is innuendo, half truths and clap-trap. Of course we all know that anything the Government puts out is 100% the truth don't we ?

"At night how many of your appliances are using electricity?

Obviously the fridge. The freezer, if you've got one. Maybe the clock on the cooker. The TV on standby. The video. The alarm clock. The answering machine. The mobile being recharged."

Lets add a few more, shall we ? The central heating timer, the cordless phone base station, the security light, the burglar alarm AND of course we dare not forget the mains powered smoke detector must we ?

Following your logic ALL of these are dangerous and should be unplugged at night - as I said before, and will say again - HOGWASH !

But - hold on a minute !! This website doesn't actually tell us to unplug these items does it ? - it tells us that they all run off electricity ! Well , well, I never would have known that - as I said before, and will say again - OVER-NANNYING !

There is a risk in everything we do, I am willing to state quite categorically that leaving my TV on standby (even overnight - which I don't) is far less likely to cause my death than driving to the shops tomorrow morning to get my paper. But I am willing to take the chance that I will get home safely with my Sunday Times.
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This is from the dti.gov.uk website

Timing and location of TV fire incidents
    • TV fires occur most frequently in December (11%) and January (14%), but are spread across
    the year; May (5%) and February (6%) are the lowest. February would not be expected to
    be the second lowest month but there is insufficient data to explain why this was the case.
    • Most TV fires occur in the evening (35%), followed by afternoon (24%), night (22%) and with
    morning not far behind at 19%. Evening is peak viewing.
    The result for fires at night is higher than might be expected if viewing is a factor. However,

Their views not mine.

As I said - how many of these "safety checkers" have electrical qualifications. What you quote has nothing to do with my point - what you quote are statistics - somewhat different from Volts and Amps !

I also note the use of the word "could" - very convincing !
  • dounome
    Options
    As I said - how many of these "safety checkers" have electrical qualifications. What you quote has nothing to do with my point - what you quote are statistics - somewhat different from Volts and Amps !

I also note the use of the word "could" - very convincing !

lol i knew youd pick up on the word could:rolleyes:

All the items you mention are designed to be left on, fridge etc,
    im not going to tell you not to leave your tv on standby when you go to bed that is your choice, and no im not an expert like yourself, but i will continue to switch my set off properly and hopefully my family will not be involved in a fire because it overheats.
    And yes one incident is enough for me to be wary.
    Mind you id still try the paragliding though.
    Oh the phone charger is another fire risk when left on without the phone attached.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure