Release pension cash

Options

Comments

• Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,185 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    returners5 wrote: »
    I am over 55 and want to make a large purchase, which would normally require a loan - which I can get at 7.5% interest.

Instead of taking a loan and pay interest would it make sense to take the tax free portion allowed from my pension and use that (it's not a final salary pension). Then pay the equivalent of the loan payments as an AVC to my pension until retirement - I believe these payments would also be tax free (deducted from my gross salary before tax if calculated).

I lose the difference between the 7.5% interest and the return on the pension fund - but I gain the equivalent of the tax on this sum (I am a higher rate tax payer).

Does this work, and is it legal?

On the basis the pension is Defined Contribution and not Defined Benefit, in principle I believe it works, is legal, and seems reasonable to do. However if the pension you are proposing to take the 25% from is your current employers pension you would need to discuss what you want to do with the pension administrator. I would have thought it unlikely that such a pension would support taking an early lump sum,. If it cant then you would need to transfer the whole pension elsewhere which could cause problems - eg do the rules permit it without you leaving the pension scheme, which obviously isnt what you want to do.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,185 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    returners5 wrote: »
    I would make sure I stayed in the 25% band.

Incidentally is that 25% of that pension fund, or 25% of the sum of my different pension funds. (but I would only want to draw from one of them).

The 25% is 25% of ech pension involved individualy - ie one pension cant pay another pensions 25%.
  • PensionTech
    Options
    returners5, you would need to make sure that you don't fall foul of recycling rules:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/rpsmmanual/RPSM04104920.htm

If you did then you would be facing hefty tax charges.
    I am a Technical Analyst at a third-party pension administration company. My job is to interpret rules and legislation and provide technical guidance, but I am not a lawyer or a qualified advisor of any kind and anything I say on these boards is my opinion only.
  • nimac20
    nimac20 Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I fell for one of these scams, so annoyed about it, really let myself down. Things are going wrong with thw oversea investment and returns are rubbish, will end of costing me money.

I've bitten the bullet and contacted the FCA this morning to find out what to do. They asked for some more info on the IFA involved so getting that and will contact then back tomorrow.

Does anybody have any experience of these pension scams. Some of the websites i've seen state you will have to pay 55% tax on the pension. How exactly does this work? I don't have the money to pay it back in one lump sum?

I would appreciate only constructive replies if possible, i know i've been an idiot and shouldn't have done it.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,395 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does anybody have any experience of these pension scams. Some of the websites i've seen state you will have to pay 55% tax on the pension. How exactly does this work? I don't have the money to pay it back in one lump sum?

I have reported several to the regulator and the individuals to HMRC.

most of them dont involve any regulated individual. If that is the case, then you normally end up with little or nothing back from the pension and can be hit with a tax bill from HMRC. if there was a regulated individual involved then it is still hard work if the individual was only used to put the SIPP in place (some of the scams have moved to SSAS). There have been a few successful complaints against regulated individuals but not many.

Did you actually use an IFA? Remember that the scammers will lie to you. They may call themselves all sorts of titles but doesnt mean they are. Have you checked the FSA register to see if that person was actually a real IFA? If they are on there, then you have some small hope. If they are not on there then you are looking at near total loss with no consumer protection likely.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • nimac20
    nimac20 Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks dunstonh

The business the IFA was working for went into liquidation in 2014. I've searched the FSA register and the person with that name is listed as inactive and the company is not registered.

The company used to set up the SIPP is registered. Not looking good!

I really want to get this sorted and if i have to pay a tax bill then so be it. My issue is i'm not sure who to contact to discuss the issue of the tax bill. I've trawled the HMRC website but can't find a department who would deal with this. Can you suggest anything here?
  • dunstonh
    Options
    The business the IFA was working for went into liquidation in 2014. I've searched the FSA register and the person with that name is listed as inactive and the company is not registered.

Ahh, the all too common dodgy process of setting up, sell a load of dodgy stuff in the short term and then close down before all the **** hits the fan leaving the liability to the FSCS. The FSCS is funded by levies on firms who have existed for more than a year. It is a system where the good pay for the bad.

You need to get in contact with the FSCS and start the process with them.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • dunstonh
    Options
    Read the post and thought I'd share with you what a personal friend of mine has achieved.

If you look at the scam warnings issued by the various regulators, what you have described fits a number of those.

The board removed the last post you made (which was identical to this). So, I guess they felt it was a scam/spam too.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    This particular vehicle showing a 3 year track record of over 30% pa. enabling me to receive over 3% per month income with a capital guarantee.

I'm in two minds as to whether to feel sorry for anyone who believes that and subsequently loses a shed load of money, or that they deserve everything they get (which won't be much)

There was a paper published by a professor recently on scams, postulating that the reason these type of outlandish profits are promised is to weed out all but the utterly naive and stupid.
  • Hammouda
    Options
    Hi,
    I am about to apply for a 25% cash in fro, my private pension. Can I do this by filling out forms by myself and where can I find this information. Otherwise, could you suggest a reliable and cost effective firm.
    Many thanks,
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure