Union fees in retirement

Options

Comments

• Stufrog
    Stufrog Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    There's no link on there about contribution rates. Maybe they changed their site. Anyway I will have to contact them. How inconvenient. Why not just have proper info on there!:mad:
  • Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    Options
    StewThom wrote: »
    There's no link on there about contribution rates. Maybe they changed their site. Anyway I will have to contact them. How inconvenient. Why not just have proper info on there!:mad:

You seem to have missed it.

http://www.unitetheunion.org/growing-our-union/joinunite/contributionrates/
  • georgiesmum
    Options
    A friend who retired 3 years ago told me she paid a one off fee which covers her for life. Only about £20, but i don't know weather it was unite or another union
  • Stufrog
    Stufrog Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    A friend who retired 3 years ago told me she paid a one off fee which covers her for life. Only about £20, but i don't know weather it was unite or another union

I don't think that's possible anymore. They only offer monthly subscription. However, Unite is more expensive than GMB at the moment.

Unite's website is like navigating through a maze... so much for their well spent fees on decent web design. :D
  • Bigmoney2
    Bigmoney2 Posts: 640 Forumite
    Options
    Unite retired members fee is £2.17 a month
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    scotsbob wrote: »
    There is a whole clutch of people appearing out of the woodwork claiming they were abused way back in the 1970s.
    Assuming you weren't involved in any kiddy fiddling over the last 40 years then you are unlikely to need the services of the union's legal dept.

There is always the possibility of malicious allegation to consider; it is unlikely but could happen.

As an analogy:I insure my house against all sorts of unlikely events at a much greater cost than the retired members' rate.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    I remain a member of my union (I was a nurse) for lots of reasons.
    I do like to think they would be there for me if any issue arose from the past (things can arise, however careful you were and I can't imagine that my ex-employers would back me)
    I like to stay in touch with current issues (I get a monthly journal and regular emails)
    I take advantage of discounts etc. ( a retired relative has just used legal cover from his union)
    I pay £41 a year.
  • wheezy57
    wheezy57 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Options
    I was told that Unison dont assist people in retrospect. So, continuing to pay for something that could have happened 30yrs ago would be irrelevant. Just another way to keep their coffers full incase the Labour party need backing at sometime in the future.
  • HoofeHearted
    Options
    Have a look at this.
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/how-we-help/memberoffers/retiredmembersplus/

Says you pay the equivalent of 50p a week.
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I stopped paying any contribution to a teacher's union when I retired. In retrospect I am not sure I got any value when I was working. Certainly their advice on retirement was between poor and non existent.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure