PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

300 pound to paint two rooms, is this reasonable

Options
Hi we have given keys back to landlord after renting with him for four years. During our time there we got permission to paint a bedroom, we painted it yellow as it was to be a nursery. Ll said that it would only need painting back if it was a really bright colour.

Before we gave keys back ll told my husband he wanted the bedroom painted back to pervious color which was magnolia. Ll said he would do it him self then it wouldn't cost us as much, we were in the process of moving out.

Today ll said he has had his painter round and he is taking three hundred out of our bond, this is for painting the bedroom, a box room which had some marks from a ladder leaning against it and as bit of pen mark. Also there was a small tear to the wallpaper at the bottom of the stairs where the safety gate had been.

Is this a reasonable cost, we don't ddispute paying for the painting, but iI think its a lot of money .
Married 09/09/09

Comments

• ValHaller
    ValHaller Posts: 5,212 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Is the deposit protected?

I suggest you accept the damage but argue that it would all need repainting anyway after 5 years, so the £300 is 80% betterment as you have been there 4 years already.
    You might as well ask the Wizard of Oz to give you a big number as pay a Credit Referencing Agency for a so-called 'credit-score'
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    £300 actually sounds quite cheap for a complete repaint of two rooms.
    However the LL cannot claim betterment (new for old). Fair wear and tear must be allowed for by taking into account the age since last pained and the expected life. Also the condition at start of tenancy must be taken account of.
  • moneysaver12
    Options
    It is protected, the paint is at least five years old as we were the second tenants. Ll has been a great ll during tenancy. Think this is why I'm partly shocked. If he had said he was going to get some one in, we would have at least have painted the room that was yellow, he only told us yesterday, he knew we had to give keys back today. He seems to have got someone in today as he has a viewing tomorrow as is selling property. Thank you for your help. Not sure what to do
    Married 09/09/09
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,094 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tell him you think £150 is reasonable. Or whatever you think is reasonable, is reasonable.
  • moneysaver12
    Options
    My husband is to meet him at the property tomorrow to do the checkout, should he say something then
    Married 09/09/09
  • dgtazzman
    dgtazzman Posts: 1,140 Forumite
    Options
    Hang on, he's painted it and given you a bill for this before you have even done the checkout? He could have at least given you the opportunity to do the painting yourself, but as mentioned, I'd consider it betterment and if the deposit is protected, I'd raise it with the protection scheme and let arbitration sort it out...
  • ValHaller
    ValHaller Posts: 5,212 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My husband is to meet him at the property tomorrow to do the checkout, should he say something then
    No, he should just take dated checkout photos .... :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    You might as well ask the Wizard of Oz to give you a big number as pay a Credit Referencing Agency for a so-called 'credit-score'
  • moneysaver12
    Options
    Hi thank you for your help. Just spoken to my husband and he said the landlord yesterday had said that he would sort the painting out as it would be cheaper than us getting someone in. He never said how much it would cost till today. By this point it was too late for us to do it ourselves as tenancy ended today.
    Married 09/09/09
  • moneysaver12
    Options
    Husband has texted ll who has said three hundred is cheap, its for two days work, half of stairs wall needs stripping and rewall papering, I don't understand how its half the wall as the tear is small, would have thought it would need one sheet or two. Not sure how long the wall paper has been on as it had been painted over.

Also there is cracks on the ceiling where the loft is due to too many things in the loft, this is our fault, ll says it needs replastering. Ll knew about this before we had given our notice as he came round to repair the shower and just said to put more boards down.
    Married 09/09/09
  • dinofabio
    Options
    Personally I don't think it's that unreasonable.

To get any sort of trade in is going to cost at least £150 a day (unless they are doing it on the side)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure