Road trip USA

This will be our 3rd Road Trip in the US.

If anyone has done anything similar and can offer me advice, please do so.

Boston 3nights
Fly to Chicago 3nights
St Louis 1 night
Nashville 1night
Memphis 2 nights
New Orleans 2nights
Houston 1night
Fly home from Houston

This leaves us a night spare.

How does this look?
Loved our trip to the West Coast USA. Death Valley is the place to go!

Comments

• DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Looks good, all you need now is a muscle car to do it in some style.
  • Moto2
    Moto2 Posts: 2,206 Forumite
    DKLS wrote: »
    Looks good, all you need now is a muscle car to do it in some style.

Doing a road trip in a modern car is never going to be stylish or fulfilling
    A motorbike is the only way to do it IMO :) - rent a Harley
    If you have kids to bring along, maybe an old VW camper or something would cut it.
    Sterile cars with A/C and cruise control etc. just turns it into a touring holiday where the destination is always the best bit rather than the travel, a road trip should be all about the travel.

I'm biased mind ;)
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
  • gem75
    gem75 Posts: 64 Forumite
    Some big distances in there, you are going to be spending a lot of time in the car. Don't forget there is likely to be a hefty one way drop off fee for picking the car up in Chicago and dropping it off in Houston - probably in the region of $300.
  • gem75 wrote: »
    Some big distances in there, you are going to be spending a lot of time in the car. Don't forget there is likely to be a hefty one way drop off fee for picking the car up in Chicago and dropping it off in Houston - probably in the region of $300.

As I said, this is our 3rd. Just returned from Vegas and did a 2500 mile trip!!

The average on the trip being planned is 4 hrs 30 on driving days. We love the driving, travelling through different towns.

Can I ask, why is there going to be a hefty drop off fee.

We have previously picked up a car from Vegas and dropped off at San Francisco with no extra charge
  • Moto2
    Moto2 Posts: 2,206 Forumite
    There's some sort of tri-state thing going on with Nevada, Arizona and California meaning there isn't a drop off fee between them
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
  • Moto2 wrote: »
    There's some sort of tri-state thing going on with Nevada, Arizona and California meaning there isn't a drop off fee between them

Just had a look at the car hire prices, crikey:eek:.

Think we might have to re plan the whole thing!!
  • delwynshd
    delwynshd Posts: 2,907 Forumite
    Yeah Moto is correct

Drop off fees are around $500 dollars, Nevada, Arizona and California there is no drop off fess

Del
    I am a Travel Agent

My company’s ABTA numbers are P6046. MSE doesn't check my status as a Travel Agent, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Travel Agent Code of Conduct.
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    One-way fees vary quite a lot but in general with those sort of cities/distances will be unavoidable...you can minimize them but probably not get around completely.

there are threads about it...like this one.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4367015

and not all car hire agencies are no one-way fee between CA/NV/AZ, most are, but not all...not unless something has changed in the last few years (at which point people were saying there is no one-way fee between CA/NZ/AZ and there certainly was with our initial booking which we had changed to another provider with no one-way fee).
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure