PIP and motability

Options
as someone who as MS,and at te moment has an indefinate award for motability,when PIP comes in,they say it will be length awards,no more indefinatley,will this not make the hire of a motability vechile very unlikley,they are 3 year contracts,if we only get 2 year award,what will happen,this is going to cause me and others a whole lot of trouble:mad:

Comments

• portly1
    portly1 Posts: 283 Forumite
    Options
    colin13 wrote: »
    as someone who as MS,and at te moment has an indefinate award for motability,when PIP comes in,they say it will be length awards,no more indefinatley,will this not make the hire of a motability vechile very unlikley,they are 3 year contracts,if we only get 2 year award,what will happen,this is going to cause me and others a whole lot of trouble:mad:

Glad that someone else has picked up on this too.

I've mentioned it many times to many people that buying your own car now on finance, using what is left of the DLA to fund the monthly payments is a much better option.

Those taking the gamble with PIP are the ones I feel sorry for.

I sent my motability car back last June after having it for nearly 18 months. Bought my own vehicle and the finance payments match the DLA mobility award and will finish when PIP goes nationwide. By then I don't care if I don't get any PIP as the car will be paid for. I currently get HRM & MRC - DLA but based on the PIP descriptors I will get nothing!
  • sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    colin13 wrote: »

You only need 12 months of HRM DLA to qualify for motability and I cant see it changing for PIP.

There is no need to see problems where their are none yet, the truely disabled have nothing to fear from PIP IMHO and trolls such as portly (in this incarnation, plenty more are available playing the same tune) are just trying to spread fear.

When DLA was introduced the short awards were are big problem, you needed three years HRM DLA to take out a motability contract back in the '90s but the rules changed a long time ago to allow many more people to be eliagable for the scheme
  • HB58
    HB58 Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    Options
    There is going to be transitional help for people with a motability vehicle who do not get the higher rate of PIP mobility

http://www.motability.co.uk/understanding-the-scheme/pip-and-motability/lord-sterling-transitional-support-package
  • portly1
    Options
    sunnyone wrote: »
    You only need 12 months of HRM DLA to qualify for motability and I cant see it changing for PIP.

There is no need to see problems where their are none yet, the truely disabled have nothing to fear from PIP IMHO and trolls such as portly (in this incarnation, plenty more are available playing the same tune) are just trying to spread fear.

When DLA was introduced the short awards were are big problem, you needed three years HRM DLA to take out a motability contract back in the '90s but the rules changed a long time ago to allow many more people to be eliagable for the scheme

Would you be so kind as to explain for benefit of the rest of us what you mean by:

the truly disabled have nothing to fear from PIP

Because if I am thinking straight, what you are trying to say is that those that are NOT truly disabled have everything to fear from PIP?

Please define the difference between the two so that we can all on here make decisions about our futures when PIP hits the deck so to speak.

Personally I was re-assessed for DLA in Jan 2011 and once again was re-awarded HRM & MRC and indef. But based on the descriptors for PIP, it is highly unlikely that I will attain more than 4 points across the two elements (Care + Mobility).

Does that mean that you would state that I am NOT truly disabled? If that is your opinion - I do wonder then how disabled you have to be to be truly disabled.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure