PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Loyd Grossman Tomato & Chilli Sauce - recipe for making own?

I absolutely love this! I normally buy it when it's on offer for £1 as I think it's not worth £2.

Any recipe on how to make something similar myself?

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I regularly make my own using the cherry / plum tomatoes I buy from my local fruit stall. Fry a bit of garlic and spring onion in a small amount of olive oil until soft, add the tomatoes, salt and sugar to balance, dried herbs and red chilli to taste, a small knob of butter for creaminess and then cook the liquid out. Add fresh herbs (basil and oregano work best) towards the end. Once it's really thick blitz it in a blender.

Delicious and simples, and costs £1 for the tomatoes plus a bit for the store cupboard staples. Would be even cheaper if you used tinned tomatoes / passata.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Roxy07 wrote: »
    I absolutely love this! I normally buy it when it's on offer for £1 as I think it's not worth £2.

Any recipe on how to make something similar myself?

I really like that one as well, but again, I dont buy it unless its on offer, there are other similar brands Ive tried that Ive liked just as much.
  • redfox
    redfox Posts: 15,338 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
  • Another devotee of making your own.
    With tinned tomatoes.
    Saute some onion till soft, then chopped garlic and chopped chilli (or dried chilli), add tomato puree and cook for another min. Add tin tomatoes and some dried oregano, bring to simmer. I usually add a touch of something else, usually some mushroom ketchup (you could use Worcestershire sauce), and I love to add just a touch of smoked paprika.
    Blitz with a blender if you don't like a chunky sauce.

If using fresh tomatoes, recipe is basically the same, but I half or quarter the tomatoes, roughly chop up an onion, bung in a roasting pan, sprinkle with oregano and slivers of garlic, sprinkling of olive oil and roast for around 30 mins before making the sauce. Use all the juicy bits in the sauce too. (Don't add more garlic or oregano when making the sauce).
  • CH27
    CH27 Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    Fry some onion, chilli & garlic until soft.
    Add a tin of value chopped tomatoes.
    Add some basil & oregano & 1tsp sugar, salt & pepper.
    Simmer & blitz if you want a smooth sauce.
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
  • hobbitfancier
    hobbitfancier Posts: 120 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 September 2013 at 10:20AM
    I used a smitten kitchen recipe that i can't seem to find now. Instead of fresh tomatoes, I use the tinned value range (2 tins), throw it in a pan with a dash of olive oil, or rapeseed oil, peel and wash an onion, adding it whole and let it come to the simmer. I then add fresh rosemary, or dried oregano - you could add any herb you wish, and then a dash of balsamic to cut through the acidic taste tinned tomatoes can have. After allowing to simmer for 10-15 min on a low heat, I take off the heat, allow to cool for 10 min and then blitz into a smooth sauce.

It lasts well in the fridge for 3 days, and I can heat as much as I need up in the microwave - great basic tomato sauce. Serves 5-6 people.

EDIT: here is the SK recipe, I just used cheap ingredients :)
  • I must admit I don't like any of Lloyd Grossman sauces - they seem thin and flavourless compared to anything else I've tried, and unless they're on offer then they're expensive too.

I soften a chopped onion in a little oil, add a couple of crushed cloves of garlic, a handful of grated carrot and a tin of chopped tomatoes. A tablespoon of tomato puree thickens it up nicely, and a half-tsp of sugar will help balance the tartness of the tomatoes. I add mixed herbs, oregano or basil to the sauce depending on what I have. If you like the chilli flavour then add a finely chopped one to the onions while they're cooking, or about 1/2-1tsp chilli powder with the tomatoes. If you have other veg such as peppers, mushrooms or courgettes that need used up, throw them in too. Simmer until soft and thickened. If it is too thick, add a little of the pasta cooking water if you're doing it at the same time.

I find it easier to make a big batch and freeze in portions, which can be used on pasta, in pasta bake or bolognaise, on HM pizza, watered down to make soup or as the base for a curry.

I have 12 tins of tomatoes in my cupboard (at last count) and can't help myself buying them when on special offer, but they're so useful!

One Love, One Life, Let's Get Together and Be Alright :)

April GC 13.20/£300
    April
    NSDs 0/10
    CC's £255
  • If you still want to buy some they're £1 in Asda at the moment.
  • bluebag
    bluebag Posts: 2,450 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I make a similar thing with garlic onions chilli passata and a sprinkle of oregano and sage, cook till reduced to how I like it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure